Help! Trying to fit a dash cam in a C350e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brollyman

Car
C350e Estate
I've searched the forum to no avail so I'm hoping that there's someone out there who has done what I'm trying to do and can give me some friendly advice.

I'm trying to fit a dashcam in my C350e and trying to locate an ignition switched fuse that I can access to tap power for the camera. I've checked all the fuses in the front footwell fuse box and they all appear to be permanent live. It seems that the glove box light is ignition switched so if I could access that fuse which I understand is at located in a fuse box at the right hand end of the dashboard, all would be good.

So my questions are:

Am I right that all the fuses in the footwell fuse box are permanent live?

How on earth do you gain access to the dashboard fuses without damaging the dash????

I know I can tap into an ignition switched feed in the mirror housing but as I'm using a fuse bypass tap, I don't want to be having to use connectors to tap into a live feed.

I know not the same car but maybe you can do similar. I was able to access the back of my glovebox 12v socket by removing a panel then drilling a small hole in the plastic for the grommet and wire. Once the panel is back you can't see the wire.

Thanks for the reply but I can only draw power from a fuse socket as I have a proprietary fuse tap from the dash cam manufacturer.

According to the owner's manual and some bits on the internet, there is a fuse panel behind the plastic cover at the end of the dashboard where it meets the door but I can't find any information about how to remove the cover trim. I'm hoping that someone on here might have an insight on how to take the trim off without wrecking it!

Thanks for the reply but I can only draw power from a fuse socket as I have a proprietary fuse tap from the dash cam manufacturer.

According to the owner's manual and some bits on the internet, there is a fuse panel behind the plastic cover at the end of the dashboard where it meets the door but I can't find any information about how to remove the cover trim. I'm hoping that someone on here might have an insight on how to take the trim off without wrecking it!
It should be in your manual. I've not removed it on your model, but there has always been guidance in the manual, for each car I've owned. Look in the index under "fuses"

I imagine its something like this.

pic01.jpg

pic02.jpg

The manual was the first place I went to. It was in the manual that I found out at there is a fuse panel there. However, the manual tells me to "consult my local MB dealer".

I'll try getting some sort of plastic lever behind the trim - it looks like it's tucked too far into the dash assembly though.

I should add I looked for this extra fuse panel assembly not that long ago on a pre-facelift W204 Elegance at the end of the dash [passenger side] and on removing the trim panel found there wasn't one! :doh: I assume the fuses were incorporated elsewhere into the two main fuse panels [ under bonnet+ boot] so it may be present/absent depending on the model? :dk:

Mines an E class but I ran power to the boot area and took it from a switched live there. Was certainly easier than going through to the engine bay for power. Took less than 30mins from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom