Idle issues

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

Did you know that it’s illegal to leave your engine idling whilst stationary on a public road? I didn’t until seeing it mentioned on the news this morning. This is what the RAC have to say about it:

“The issue of engines not being switched off when vehicles are parked is, unbeknownst to many, already an offence.

“Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’, stating that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

“Local authorities have the power to issue £20 fixed penalties for emission offences and stationary idling under The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002.

“However, it is important to note that this is imposed only if a motorist refuses to switch off their engine off when asked to do so by an authorised person.”

I’ve always hated seeing (and hearing in the case of diesels) vehicle’s parked up with the engine left idling. I used to think of it as an unnecessary waste of money, but with pollution now being a major issue it’s become even more concerning for me. That concern increased even more with the birth of my daughter four years ago. Seeing all the parents parked up outside schools and leaving their engines running for several minutes whilst they dropped of their sprogs makes me wonder whether it’s because people don’t care or they don’t know what harm they’re doing. I doubt if many, if any, know they’re breaking the law.

The piece on the BBC news this morning talked about encouraging the general public to report people who leave their engines idling by submitting videos to their council, the encouragement being a percentage of any imposed fine. It’s already being done in the USA, in particular New York where the possible fines are massive. Is this the way to tackle this issue or do we just need more education? It strikes me that far too many people aren’t bothered about things that aren’t going to risk them getting fined for. Should we try to do something or should we just not give a toss and carry on as usual, blaming other pollution sources such as ships and planes?

Did you know that it’s illegal to leave your engine idling whilst stationary on a public road? I didn’t until seeing it mentioned on the news this morning. This is what the RAC have to say about it:

“The issue of engines not being switched off when vehicles are parked is, unbeknownst to many, already an offence.

“Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’, stating that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

“Local authorities have the power to issue £20 fixed penalties for emission offences and stationary idling under The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002.

“However, it is important to note that this is imposed only if a motorist refuses to switch off their engine off when asked to do so by an authorised person.”

I’ve always hated seeing (and hearing in the case of diesels) vehicle’s parked up with the engine left idling. I used to think of it as an unnecessary waste of money, but with pollution now being a major issue it’s become even more concerning for me. That concern increased even more with the birth of my daughter four years ago. Seeing all the parents parked up outside schools and leaving their engines running for several minutes whilst they dropped of their sprogs makes me wonder whether it’s because people don’t care or they don’t know what harm they’re doing. I doubt if many, if any, know they’re breaking the law.

The piece on the BBC news this morning talked about encouraging the general public to report people who leave their engines idling by submitting videos to their council, the encouragement being a percentage of any imposed fine. It’s already being done in the USA, in particular New York where the possible fines are massive. Is this the way to tackle this issue or do we just need more education? It strikes me that far too many people aren’t bothered about things that aren’t going to risk them getting fined for. Should we try to do something or should we just not give a toss and carry on as usual, blaming other pollution sources such as ships and planes?
Define unnecessarily; if the engine needs to be running to keep the windows demisted then the charges fail : it is an offence to drive off if windows are not clear.

This ‘grassing up’ idea is reminiscent of the Gestapo and deplorable.

All fuel extracted from the earth will be burned ; it matters not whether it goes to propulsion or not ; we have paid through the nose for it , and the right to choose .

I am in charge of my car , not the politically authorised person , so they can take a hike .

It's been an offence for a long time so there is no reason for anyone to feel aggrieved if the law is going to be enforced.

With white van man it's almost endemic but they don't much care as it's often someone else's fuel they are burning. I see it outside my granddaughter's primary school, it's always Bob the builder in his diesel pickup. I know where they live and is less than 1/2 a mile from school but he waddles rather than walks so I suppose that's 1/2 a mile too far. Why do they do it ? I think it's a mixture of ignorance and arrogance. An awareness campaign might help but only for those with sufficient IQ to realise the implications of what they are doing. Decent sensible people with the barest amount of environmental awareness wouldn't do it in the first place especially outside a primary school with little kids walking past.

This is a pet peeve of mine and I’ll gladly advise people sat their idling away if they’re going to be there much longer it’d maybe be best if they kill the engine and I’ve only had one get huffy.

Some NYC numbers Maximum Stationary idle period 3 minutes! Fine/Bounty $350 of which the reporter gets 25% --- appears to apply only to trucks and buses??
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Stop flying abroad to if it worries these people so much.
The pollution from aircraft flying across the Atlantic has very little direct influence on my daughter’s health, unlike the chemical cocktail spouting from the exhausts of vehicles parked outside her primary school at the start and end of each school day.

Yes, indubitably. However, despite that, she is likely to live longer than any previous generation of human beings.

It’s been around for a long time and once in a while you read of someone, normally in winter, being done for leaving a vehicle idling. Sadly you look at people sat with their engines on as others have said and some of the responses on this thread and it’s easy to see how much of a challenge we have when it comes to the environment. People don’t think of their contributions and when challenged will say “what about planes etc etc”. I really feel for future generations.

How many times have we heard of fellow members disabling stop/start on every journey?

How many times have we heard of fellow members disabling stop/start on every journey?
I wouldn’t buy a vehicle that cut out at every stop , and the odd time I’ve driven one I always disable the hateful feature .

Every time I’m next to one at the lights , I’m already gliding away as I hear them - cough , claaaatttter , since they’re usually diesels .

I wish I could disable my neighbours stinking smoking barbecue.:confused:
Just have a nice curry and you won’t smell it !

It’s the noise as much as anything that bugs me - especially clattery old 4 pot diesels!
I like my clattery old 4 pot diesel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom