• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Insurance implications of fitting 295 30 to my E63 S211 which have 275 30 as standard

Vincyby

Car
E63 Estate W211
I know this is a basic question and may have been covered before, so any advice is welcomed. Will my insurance be invalided if I fit the larger tyre on the existing 19” rims ?
I am considering moving Michelins 4s 295 30 as the Conti’s I had fitted last year have worn on inner thread 13k miles. The car has had its rear tracking checked and is ok, but need to change both rears. See picture of the one tyre which started to shred. I learnt from the forum the Michelins are preferred by quit a few contributors and after reviewing some YouTube comparisons, the laden track width is wider on the Michelin 4s than the Conti sport contact 2’s, hence my desire to go for the 295 over 275 and Michelins 4s. Interested to get your shared experiences and opinions or advice. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7322.jpeg
    IMG_7322.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4
Hmm, aside from pushing what the standard rear rim width will accept, a 20mm wider tyre on a 30 profile will increase the rolling diameter by about 6mm too. That might be too much for the traction control to be happy with considering the front/rear discrepancy

In theory you're not supposed to fit wheels and tyres combination of a size that isn't approved by the car's manufacturer, which in practical terms means that the size needs to be listed as an option in the manual, or available as an official after market accessory. But in reality any size you declare to your insurer and they acknowledge, is fine.

Hmm, aside from pushing what the standard rear rim width will accept, a 20mm wider tyre on a 30 profile will increase the rolling diameter by about 6mm too. That might be too much for the traction control to be happy with considering the front/rear discrepancy
Jobsworth, thanks for the advice and noted. So maybe going with Michelin 4s at 275 standard would be the safer option.

Jobsworth, thanks for the advice and noted. So maybe going with Michelin 4s at 275 standard would be the safer option.
I would stick to the standard sizes. They’re standard sizes for a reason 👍🏻

In theory you're not supposed to fit wheels and tyres combination of a size that isn't approved by the car's manufacturer, which in practical terms means that the size needs to be listed as an option in the manual, or available as an official after market accessory. But in reality any size you declare to your insurer and they acknowledge, is fine.
Mark jay, thanks and will check the manual.

Keep an eye on the tread blocks. They started to peel on a set of mine with around 5mm tread remaining. I must get round to getting them inspected. Almost certainly the best performing road tyre I have ever used.

I went 275 instead of the 265 rears on my c63 no issues with insurance and as mentioned above the best all round tyre out there MPS4S

Thanks all, for your advice. I am getting the MP4SP’s fitted this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom