Insuring an E63 Biturbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
So I've found a car, put a refundable holding deposit on it and going to view it Saturday.
I'll post pics and an update if I decide this is the one.

I thought I would update the insurance quotes I found at the end of July when I first decided to change cars. Getting quotes from Money Supermarket on 26th July, LV came out head and shoulders the cheapest and for a stock 2014 E63 Biturbo I was quoted £420. This rose to £520 ish when adding a map, non oem alloys, lowering springs and an exhaust modification on the car I was going to view. I thought this all good value.

Fast forward to today and how times have changed. It may only be 7 weeks later, but LV are nowhere to be seen on Money Supermarket. I went onto LV's website, filled in the quotation folm and they threw out a figure of £550 without modifications:eek:
What happened? I got 7 weeks older and its an extra £130? I swear insurance is a huge fiddle.

Anyway, the cheapest quote came from everyone's favourite (not) Hastings Essential at £393 without windscreen cover:(. Hastings Direct was £429 inc windscreen cover.

I had the E55 insured at Hastings for 2 years but fortunately for me, never made any claim.
Now I won't touch them after reading countless poor reviews of them, and their other companies in other names (Peoples Choice and Insure pink to name two)

Also, John here isn't enamoured with Hastings either
Vehicle - 2004 E55 AMG FOR SALE (long ad split into 2 posts)

So scrolling down the evering more expensive list, I have settled on Axa as the most likely at £541 although as its so close to LV, I may go that route.

In the meantime, after Saturday, I'll know for sure whether this is the car for me and will visit A-Plan brokers to see if they can match or beat Axa with a decent company.
Having a car close to £30k is too much to risk with a company that messes about should the worst happen.

I've discounted Adrian Flux for reasons I wrote about long ago that didn't affect me but questioned their integrity. Aviva and Direct Line are both out for not being competitive.
Any I should try before next week?

Oh, the most expensive quote was £11,082 from BG Insurance whoever they are:rolleyes:

Good luck with the E55K sale and this one.

I know of two separate insurance episodes which both involved Hastings this year.

One was from the perspective on the insured.

The other was from the 3rd party where the 1st part was insured with them.

Absolute crooks and utterly inept.

Never will there be a day when I even consider them.

I use Admiral but it's best to sign up to all the comparison sites and run your details through all of them as well - and the indes if you can be bothered (Direct Line don't cover mods apparently).

Nice choice of car! Avoid LV at all costs my wife had a right pain with that lot! I have been with Axa for a number of years they are slightly more expensive but I never have any issues contacting them or with the online account plus their call centre is uk based.

Worst experience was more than ( royal sun alliance ) shocking!

Hmm, did you mean me?

I always presume when someone puts John they are talking about WoodyTheWise or Developer...

I have an LV multicar policy. Wife's Sorento plus my CLS55 = £550. Daughter named on the Sorento. I'm happy with that.

Hmm, did you mean me?

I always presume when someone puts John they are talking about WoodyTheWise or Developer...

Yes John. I meant you on this occasion as you'd mentioned Hastings before and I quoted you.

Interesting results from the comparison sites:dk:

Axa have four different widely varying prices depending on where you look.

Money Supermarket........... £541
Confused,com....................£494
Go Compare......................£613
Compare the Market...........£604

Sure pays to check them all.

FWIW, most policies that I checked out when I had my E63 mandated that you had to use the insurer's nominated repairer with no choice. Aviva was the exception in this, as they would allow you to use a repairer of your choice, albeit with an additional excess (of £200, from memory). They were also sensible with mod's.

Good luck with the viewing, Roger :thumb:

^Cheers Phil:)
Unfortunately, Aviva are £300 more expensive than Axa for me:(

So I've found a car, put a refundable holding deposit on it and going to view it Saturday.
I'll post pics and an update if I decide this is the one.

I thought I would update the insurance quotes I found at the end of July when I first decided to change cars. Getting quotes from Money Supermarket on 26th July, LV came out head and shoulders the cheapest and for a stock 2014 E63 Biturbo I was quoted £420. This rose to £520 ish when adding a map, non oem alloys, lowering springs and an exhaust modification on the car I was going to view. I thought this all good value.

Fast forward to today and how times have changed. It may only be 7 weeks later, but LV are nowhere to be seen on Money Supermarket. I went onto LV's website, filled in the quotation folm and they threw out a figure of £550 without modifications:eek:
What happened? I got 7 weeks older and its an extra £130? I swear insurance is a huge fiddle.

Anyway, the cheapest quote came from everyone's favourite (not) Hastings Essential at £393 without windscreen cover:(. Hastings Direct was £429 inc windscreen cover.

I had the E55 insured at Hastings for 2 years but fortunately for me, never made any claim.
Now I won't touch them after reading countless poor reviews of them, and their other companies in other names (Peoples Choice and Insure pink to name two)

Vehicle - 2004 E55 AMG FOR SALE (long ad split into 2 posts)

So scrolling down the evering more expensive list, I have settled on Axa as the most likely at £541 although as its so close to LV, I may go that route.

In the meantime, after Saturday, I'll know for sure whether this is the car for me and will visit A-Plan brokers to see if they can match or beat Axa with a decent company.
Having a car close to £30k is too much to risk with a company that messes about should the worst happen.

I've discounted Adrian Flux for reasons I wrote about long ago that didn't affect me but questioned their integrity. Aviva and Direct Line are both out for not being competitive.
Any I should try before next week?

Oh, the most expensive quote was £11,082 from BG Insurance whoever they are:rolleyes:

The underwriters books could have changed a lot in 7 weeks, skewing their preferred risk profile.

Interesting results from the comparison sites:dk:

Axa have four different widely varying prices depending on where you look.

Money Supermarket........... £541
Confused,com....................£494
Go Compare......................£613
Compare the Market...........£604

Sure pays to check them all.

Hmm! That's exactly why I advise people to do this.

If I was cynical, I might think that all the sites engineer things to ensure you buy the product that suits their bottom line more than it suits you.

But if you only use one site, you don't see this.

From experience, now knowing of 3 repairs in our family, I’d look very seriously at Admiral.

No issues nominating your repairer of choice or with the entire process.

^Cheers Phil:)
Unfortunately, Aviva are £300 more expensive than Axa for me:(
Did you try the new Aviva Direct as opposed to the traditional Aviva, £200 difference in my quote between the 2 on the SL500. I now have SL500 R231 (similar value to yours) and a Fiat 500 (£7.5k value of cover) for £27 p/m interest free.

The joke is my household insurance now exceeds the motor insurance for the first time in 38 years!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Did you try the new Aviva Direct as opposed to the traditional Aviva, £200 difference in my quote between the 2 on the SL500. I now have SL500 R231 (similar value to yours) and a Fiat 500 (£7.5k value of cover) for £27 p/m interest free.

The joke is my household insurance now exceeds the motor insurance for the first time in 38 years!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It seems Aviva Direct think I'm a bit of a risk:D
£1642. 08 pa or £136. 84 pm.

Now I remember why I didn't bother getting quotes from Aviva.
It works for some, like yourself, but not me.

Im surprised at that Aviva quote as they have normally been cheapest for me.

I've just had my renewal notice from Admiral. I have a multi-car policy, and the E63 (maximum NCD, protected) came in at under £400.

Reactions: LTD
^ I think Admiral are the only company I've not got a quote from.
Something to do this evening;)

Admiral have been consistently cheaper for us for quite a few years now and their customer service is very good.

Reactions: LTD
Admiral don't seem to want me:(:D

£723.52

Axa are in the lead

£494.82

When some twit in an XF swiped the whole side of my Range Rover and 3 or 4 other cars on the M6 last year, his insurance company LV were brilliant.
I have 4 cars in the stable, but said I would prefer it if I could have a Range Rover or similar as a courtesy car.
They said if I didn't take a courtesy car, they would pay me £75 per day for as long as it took to repair my RR. Kerching! :D :D

At the other end of the barrel are Sheila's Wheels/esure.
What a bunch of tight fisted pillocks they were. My bodyshop did warn me and will not deal with them under any circumstances.
Their insured didn't take a bend and wrote off the 210 that myself and Charles Morgan had spent quite a lot of cash on.
They would only give me the middle book value for the car, even though I had bills to prove it had been very well looked after.

So whilst yours truly and Sheila's Wheels Mr Derek Campbell argued over the sum of around £400, the difference between middle and top book price for the 210, they... wait for it... provided me with a hire car for 41 days at a cost of £1740.00! It was only a Hyundi and I could have upgraded to a costlier Passat if I so wished, but thought I was being fair and honest, because the Hyundi wasn't too bad.

So, I wonder if Mr Campbell's gaffer ever got to see those figures? :doh::doh::doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom