LIVE traffic subscription and maps update on comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jphil69

Car
Mercedes C250 AMG Coupe
Hi all I have a C250 coupe 66 plate and have taken out the live traffic subscription for 3 years(expires 2022). My question is that my car went in for a service B last week and no update was carried out to the map version, I wasn't even informed there was an update available. Should this have been updated as part of the service and should this have been updated free as I have the live traffic subscription. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all I have a C250 coupe 66 plate and have taken out the live traffic subscription for 3 years(expires 2022). My question is that my car went in for a service B last week and no update was carried out to the map version, I wasn't even informed there was an update available. Should this have been updated as part of the service and should this have been updated free as I have the live traffic subscription. Any advice would be appreciated.

The maps update for COMAND are free for the first 3 years, so your 2016 car qualified for a free upgrade only until 2019.

That said, the dealer should have checked the maps version installed, and notified you that a newer version was available, and offer you to purchase it. So poor service on that front.

BTW, the latest maps version for your COMAND NTG5*2 is 2020 v14.0.

The cost is between £99 and £199 (it varies from dealer to dealer). This price includes installing the maps, though you could also do it DIY if you just purchased the media and the license key (PIN code).

And, if getting the dealer to update the maps, you should also ask them for a firmware upgrade, which will update the operating system and the navigation software on your COMAND unit (the software upgrade is seperate to the maps update). They will likely change half-hour labour for this.

One other possibility is to purchase Apple CarPlay / Android Auto kit (£499) and just use Waze / Apple Maps / Google Maps etc instead of COMAND navigation. This way the maps are always up-to-date, the live traffic doesn't expire, and you also get speed camera alerts.

Last edited:
The maps update for COMAND are free for the first 3 years, so your 2016 car qualified for a free upgrade only until 2019.

That said, the dealer should have checked the maps version installed, and notified you that a newer version was available, and offer you to purchase it. So poor service on that front.
Thanks, as I have purchased an additional 3 years live traffic, should the maps have been updated automatically during the service?

Thanks, as I have purchased an additional 3 years live traffic, should the maps have been updated automatically during the service?

No. The TomTom Live Traffic is a separate subscription and unrelated to the maps update.

Also... I am assuming that your C250 is the current model I.e. W205 (or C205, rather), and not the older W204?

Also... I am assuming that your C250 is the current model I.e. W205 (or C205, rather), and not the older W204?
Yes it was the new release

Yes it was the new release

Thanks for confirming - then as I said, your infotainment system is COMAND NTG5*2, and the latest maps version for it is 2020 v14.0.

App
Thanks for confirming - then as I said, your infotainment system is COMAND NTG5*2, and the latest maps version for it is 2020 v14.0.

Appreciated. Just disappointed that dealer did not mention this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom