• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

m271.820 engine replacement advice Needed

blythey14

Car
c180 sport,c300 cab,glc 250,coupe ,e200 aventguarda,e250 sport,a200 sport ,jenson mk1 x3, tag fiat
Hi
can anyone tell me what engine block and head is a ok replacement for the m271.820 engine
could i use a m271.946 engine or a 271.954.
im asking as i have been told there was a change in piston on certain years.
could do with some help , old engine has shot a rod through the side , and cracked head also. so need to replace block and head only .

any info would be a great help .
Thanks

.......so need to replace block and head only .
LOL.....so thats the whole engine then???

Reminded me of this!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

LOL.....so thats the whole engine then???

Reminded me of this!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

funny , but yeah i need bit of help , i can weld the head , so its basically bottom end i need with pistons. would replace whole block if can be done , but it is bottom end that is shot . rod gone through side , crank is bent rod broken piston smashed , rod gone through side of block. but like i say i can repair the head. so its mainly block ... what i need to no is what engine has the same block, and pistons and conrod, as i no they created the cgi evo engine , but im not completley clued up on the schematics of the engine . can you help or you just here for banter ; )

Unfortunately I don't think anyone here would know the answer....

Gone are the days when people used to rebuild engines DIY, and I suspect that few people on here did it recently on a modern car, let alone specifically the M271...

The only advice I can give you is to look for a 271.820 engine (but you know that...).

Good luck.

Sorry don't know the answer to your specific question - but I do know others who have tried to rebuild MB engines by using parts from another engine which was a "close" match but not exact - and they got caught out by minor changes to small things which made the rebuilds very difficult or impossible. If I were you I'd be looking for an exact match I'm afraid.

..or a 'short' second hand one?

Unfortunately I don't think anyone here would know the answer....

Gone are the days when people used to rebuild engines DIY, and I suspect that few people on here did it recently on a modern car, let alone specifically the M271...

The only advice I can give you is to look for a 271.820 engine (but you know that...).

Good luck.
hi thanks , yes thes engines are still used today , just need someone who knows what engines are fitted with the new pistons and con rods , there are few other engines that can be used , but there are 35 diffrent variation,s on the m271 engine. i just need to no whch one or which ones have the diffrent piston and con rod .
..or a 'short' second hand one?
thanks for info , heres what ive found out , 271 engines are all the same , apart from what they call the cgi engine 271.evo, which is same engine as all the rest, But has diffrent piston and con rod to bring up the hp from the c180 cgi to the c250 cgi each engine has increased hp, theses conrods and pistons were from earlier 111 engine, but used in cgi engine, but if you go for a old clk engine with a supercharger on it , its same block and bore, The difrences in engine are none apart from injection system, and on the cgi engine con rods and pistons diffrent. so whats ive done now is buy a complete running engine from a 2004 clk kompressor 271.946 , so i will try and see if it runs with the turbo attached , as the only diffrence between this engine and the 271.820 is one has turbo and the other has supercharger. and buy buying this engine i might of saved 2 grand as its 525 delivered coz its from a old car ;)) and on positive side if its no good i can chuck it in another merc that my mate wants to give to his mum, (non runer) But any info on this is a help in any way , thanks

My best advice is to buy a complete engine with everything on it with exactly the same number. Replace the chain and sprockets on it before yo u fit it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom