Mileage going up on it's own! W221 S Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im definitely going to start changing them tomorrow. Can i buy the abs sensors on ebay? Or should i go mercedes? As im a bit short on money due to putting so much into this car

Unfortunately buy from Mercedes. I have read posts from a reputable Indy that even branded aftermarket ones can cause issues (Bosch etc). You could try changing the O/S/R (most common as posted my Sam87) or just the rears first if you are a bit strapped for cash and see if it cures the problem.

Im definitely going to start changing them tomorrow. Can i buy the abs sensors on ebay? Or should i go mercedes? As im a bit short on money due to putting so much into this car

Hello
Sorry for the late reply
Personally I would change the rear ones first, as bob6600 said, it's best to go for genuine ones for stuff like this

Unfortunately buy from Mercedes. I have read posts from a reputable Indy that even branded aftermarket ones can cause issues (Bosch etc).

Mercedes themselves only ever use branded aftermarket sensors...

They don't make them themselves, they buy them in from reputable OE manufacturers like, say, Bosch. However, with the Chinese disregard for copyright, IPR and honesty in general, I've no doubt there are cheap Chinese clones out there, and doubtless counterfeit Bosch boxes to put them in as well.

I agree with the above, but I always smile when it comes to things like Bosch inductive sensors (and being certain to only use MB original or Bosch genuine ones)

...they’re the bl**dy ones that go all the time! :doh:

Crank sensors also made by MB/Bosch - same principle and often used to fail.

Perhaps those Chinese copy sensors might be more reliable :D

And maybe someone needs to have a word and see if they can reverse-engineer a solution to the faulty coil packs too ;)

Im definitely going to start changing them tomorrow.

Hello
Just wanted to see how you got on? Did it solve the problem?

Well I know I was very envious of Sam buying a one owner S600 with full MB history,and followed his thread on here,with all the pictures,I am amazed at these latest problems,and I suppose it shows that a 12 year old car no matter how well looked after can give problems,the good news is that Sam understands that these cars are expensive to run,and at least he is capable of doing the work himself,even after all the latest trouble,I still wish I had found that S600.

Well I know I was very envious of Sam buying a one owner S600 with full MB history,and followed his thread on here,with all the pictures,I am amazed at these latest problems,and I suppose it shows that a 12 year old car no matter how well looked after can give problems,the good news is that Sam understands that these cars are expensive to run,and at least he is capable of doing the work himself,even after all the latest trouble,I still wish I had found that S600.

Hello :)

You're right! As they get older, they start giving problems no matter how well they've been looked after. I guess Mercedes is just like every other car out there, they all have their problems just some cost a bit more than others but it's the love we have for cars that keeps us going and spending money that we'll never get back :D

Hi guys,

Interesting thread. My S600 is coming up to her 12th birthday but has been running faultlessly during my 3.5 years of ownership. Only significant repair bill I've had was a new coil pack about a year ago (1.5k cost) but other than that (and the bottomless fuel tank) she's been as good as gold.

Never know what's around the corner though so I'm looking at part ex-ing her next week. In final stages of striking up a deal to complete my upgrade.
Was surprised to see that video. Wasn't even aware it was a known issue.

My car still drives like it just left the factory. I can't believe it's 12 years old. Love it so much I'm looking to do it all again. Just hope the next is also a (generally) problem free car.

Why not post it up for sale here instead? :)

Yes I suppose I should have advertised here first as it's a perfect example of the W221flagship - just what us enthusiasts seek.

Just easier and more convenient to part ex through a garage all in one go I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom