• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Need to raise mobile Ramp a little.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
So I have a mid rise scissor lift and want to raise the ramp at the base. Basically I want to place wood under the ramp. Can I layer wood to be able to safely cope with 3tons of weight? If so what type of wood am I looking at?

get a few concrete paving slabs?

I'd get in touch with professionals / manufacturers of the lift rather than asking on a public forum... For something potentially so dangerous!

Correctly used wood packing be fine, no sharp points of contact and the load taken across the grain to prevent splitting. I use wood cribbing all the time for propping and miners had it down years ago. Steel packing would need welding or bolting to prevent sliding.

When I had the inspection pit installed as part of the garage build at the old house, the 2" timber across the opening was specified as "Stress Graded" so we could drive a car across it and if required jack a car up with the jack(s) on it. Had that garage for a number of years, drove any number of cars across the timbers (from MG Midget to Renault Espace) and jacked my 968 coupe and son's Midget from them with out problem. Each timber was about 6-8" x 2" x 4ft and sat in a 2" recess in the top of the pit.

I think wood will be fine. Pretty much any regular softwood of the appropriate dimensions (e.g. 2" x 8" plank). I'd avoid too many layers, unless screwed together, to avoid the planks sliding across each other. If you are layering them then buy rough sawn, not planed to reduce sliding.

Why do I think wood will be fine, well visit any shipyard. You see absolutely massive ships, 100's if not 1000's of tonnes all propped up on wooden blocks. 3 tonnes is nothing for a plank.

Paving slabs would worry me because unless they are on a bed of sand or cement could crack.

I'd get in touch with professionals / manufacturers of the lift rather than asking on a public forum... For something potentially so dangerous!
Sorry, but I'm with KillerHERTZ on this.

I know nothing about ramps, but as a matter of principle, you should never tinker with devices where safety is involved. You just don't. The manufacturer can provide advice. Improvised modifications are not a good idea on any device where safety is an issue. Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom