Non fault claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
Asking on behalf of SIL car was stationary and another car went it to the back of her rear bumper. The towbar of the other vehicle was stuck in the bumper and the rear trim has deformed and come away from the clips

She recorded the incident on her phone driver admitted liability. She obtained 3 quotes and attempted to call the driver to progress things further but the driver is claiming she has the wrong number! Even though it sounds like him

She hasn't got his address, just his first name and the vehicle reg

She is reluctant to go via insurance, the car is relatively new as it will affect her premiums, also she thinks the insurance company may register it as a CAT N?

One bodyshop she approached has said there is no need to contact her insurance they can claim from the other parties insurance, any ideas how this works? Website below

Last edited:
From what you describe the other car reversed into the rear of your SiL's car?
Your SiL insurers will be made aware of the claim as all insurers share this type of information.
I think you will find in the T&Cs for the insurance policy require disclosure of any involvement in an accident with a third party.

My advice would be to contact the insurers and let them deal with the claim, especially as the third party is now denying any involvement.

^ +1.👍👍👍

Trying to sort it directly with the other party is a mistake, in my view.

Your SIL should inform her own insurer (ideally within 24 hours) and make it clear that this is NOTIFICATION ONLY and that she is not making a claim on her own policy.

She should then call the other party's insurer and make a claim directly against the other party's policy. If she doesn't have the other party's insurer name, and is unable to obtain it, then she should report the incident to the police.

Once she submitted a claim directly to the other party's insurer, and the other party has told his insurer that he accepts liability (or your SIL sent the insurer the video footage and they accepted that their client is at fault), it's plain sailing from here.

If the other party's insurer claims it's a write off, then she just can accept a settlement pay from them instead and keep the car (and have it repaired however she wants).

As for a potential small increase to her premium (come next renewal) as result of the fact that she was involved in an incident that lead to a claim - well, this is unavoidable, but in these circumstances, any increase to her premium will be minimal.

Last edited:
Don't deal with this idiot, thats what you pay your insurance for. Drop it in the insurance company's lap and you can sleep at night and it will be fixed. Otherwise you will be chasing him forever.

I wou;dn't touch an Accident Management Company with a barge pole following the experience of a workmate. Their experience was horrendous with massive delay on the approval to get the repairs started and then paid for as repair shop wanted another £2k on top of what the Management Com[pany would pay and the workmate ended up with a massive bill for car hire and storage all of which was supposed to be "free" and "fully refundable". Situation still not resolved and in the hands of Solicitors on both sides..... absolute nightmare scenario

Just get in touch with your insurance, don't get anyone else involved, why would you they are only after your money.

Just get in touch with your insurance, don't get anyone else involved, why would you they are only after your money.

In the event that the other party has accepted liability, or that you have indisputable evidence, I would suggest claiming directly off the other party's insurer. Claiming via your own insurer is the fallback option for when tbe other party denies liability.

OP, if your SiL has motoring legal expenses cover, refer the matter to her legal expenses insurer and they will assess the claim and pursue it for her. If she hasn't, as it sounds as though the other party is trying to wriggle out of it, unless she has a recording, which is umistakably the other party (so you can see his face as he said it), unmistakably admitting liability, she could try claiming directly against his insurers, but she should let her insurers do the legwork. If she makes a claim at all her premium will inevitably rise on renewal, but that cannot be avoided.

Definitely let her insurance company or legal expenses deal with it. We had our mint Octavia scout written off by a complete **** last year. He pushed me in to the car in front, that one in to another and so on leading to 5 cars being damaged in total. Luckily I managed to take plenty of photos and all names and addresses.
The non fault claim didn’t affect the renewal premium

Highlights that legal expenses cover as part of your insurance policy can be a life saver. I always have that, only had to use it once (in about 2000) but it saved a lot of hassle and end result was that, instead of recovering just the £214 cost of the parts I'd bought and fitted, a cheque for about £650 plus an exoneration letter arrived - over a year later admittedly, but most of that time was after I'd submitted everything to my insurers and they'd turned the legal loose with me having to do nothing more.

had a young lad drive into the side of mine and leave a few scrapes earlier this year - he admitted liability and wanted to deal out of insurance, so got a quote from MB, at this point he just stopped responding.
Phoned insurance who couldn't have handled it better, they got hold of him and was all sorted within a few hours.
you pay for the insurance so is best to use them and the photo evidence is the best thing to have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom