OM 642, help please....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Becosemsaida

Car
W221, S-320 CDI 2006
So after hijacking a thread from here due to oil excessive oil consumption and since it "died" maybe its time to make my own. I will try to keep it short.

OM642, 2006, no remap.......Excessive oil consumption: 3L in 3000Km..... the beginning.

After changing the oil diaphragm and putting in a additive for the oil, no change. DPF/CAT fully clogged, was removed (for test purpose) still the same.... Checked turbo: exhaust side damaged beyond repair due to clogged DPD/CAT and regen not cooping. NEW turbo fitted, no DPF and no CAT (sitting in a box) but still too much oil is being consumed. Thick black smoke coming from the exhaust when accelerating and a cloud when kickdown. Oil consumption is still 1L/1000KM !!!! Spend already (too) much money on this car with tests, parts and other stuff.

Taking apart the engine is very very costly and worth the value of this car, every part has to be bought on its own so we're talking about 6000€ or more plus what appears during this.

Indy says valve stems or piston rings (after spending 2000€ on a turbo!!!!) and in my poor knowledge there isn't much more to check. The regen procedure was disabled and so was the EGR and was done by a respectable warranty giving shop, no remap for more power or other stuff. Maybe i'm missing something??

There are no leaks what so ever engine is dry..........

Thanks for anyone that can give a opinion and try to help sort this out...

Beco

On a 2k car ?? Really... trade in time tbh.

attachment.php

The OM 642 has a centrifugal oil separator in the crankcase ventilation system. As the engine ages this unit fails to cope and excessive oil is fed back into the inlet system- explained here. Does sound like excessive crankcase pressure due to blow by- how many miles has the car done?
Question about crankcase vent oil going into turbo. - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

quite a few vehicles using that engine if you are thinking breaker replacement?
Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine - Wikipedia

Last edited:
attachment.php

The OM 642 has a centrifugal oil separator in the crankcase ventilation system. As the engine ages this unit fails to cope and excessive oil is fed back into the inlet system- explained here. Does sound like excessive crankcase pressure due to blow by- how many miles has the car done?
Question about crankcase vent oil going into turbo. - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

quite a few vehicles using that engine if you are thinking breaker replacement?
Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine - Wikipedia

I already did read this thread, and others ..... i already had tested the car with an improvised catch can and plugged the turbo intake. Like i said before i do not have any leaks its just "eating" oil.... So as far as i can understand my MB engine OM642 with 240.000km (about 175.000 miles) is already good for scrap or need a very big and expensive repair with no assurancve that it will be repaired for a long time as i read that some engines had already trouble with 80K miles.

Far far back are the times of MB being reliable and capable of doing 1MILLION km.. Time to change to another brand of car.

Just for info: i have a 2004 BMW 730D with almost 500.000km on it and it needed an EGR valve last year, NO oil consumption, no hassles nothing just regular maintenance. My MB if from 2006, bought it with 190K KM and falls apart after a year!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help

Beco

Those early straight 6 BMW 57D30TU's still had cast iron blocks- maybe that's got something to do with it? :dk:
BMW M57 - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom