On the Hunt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S30MSN

Car
VW Golf 1.6 TDi (Work Horse), C63 507 Saloon (Sold)
I’ve not been on the site for a while due to work but I sold the beast a few weeks ago….what a car it was and there genuinely hasn't been a day where I haven’t regretted it!!

But after nearly 2 years (a record for me as I only keep my cars approx. 9 month) it was time to move it on and let someone else experience the animal.

So to fill the void I’ve been searching for a replacement. I’ve got beyond the “trawling through Auto Trader” and dreaming phase and have actually been to view/test drive a few cars.

From the Merc stable the choices are either an E63 (W212) or an SL63 (R231), polar opposites I know as ones a saloon and the other is a 2 seater GT/Roadster but there is logic to my choices (kind-off).

The two cars I’ve looked at and test driven are both 2015 so running the M157 and are:-

I’m not sure if it’s just me but I wasn’t blown away by the performance, don’t get me wrong they were both quick cars but I just had this vision of driving them (especially the SL)….of pootling along in comfort and then when the opportunity presented itself – pushing the loud peddle into the carpet and being thrown back into the seat and pinned there until I let off….which didn’t happen in the way I’d imagined….again they were quick but not as fast as I’d thought. This may have been down to not having enough time with the cars so I’m not giving up.

However following the viewing/test drives the above two are no longer on my shortlist.

As I’ve got the time to post on the forum I might as well make the most of it and ask a few questions from owners who own/have owned either an E63 or SL63, and this primarily revolves around the Gearbox, Is the gearbox the same as the one in the facelift W204 C63 (i.e. MCT Wet Clutch)? The reason I ask is that the two cars I drove the Gearbox didn’t behave the same as my 507?

The SL was smooth from cold when driving around town however when pulling the left paddle to shift down the change wasn’t a quick as my old car and also when I used to press and ‘hold’ the left paddle in my old car it used to drop from say 6th to 3rd or even 2nd depending on the revs but it was one quick & seemless process. Doing the same thing in the SL (pressing and holding) it dropped one gear first and then another two afterwards so it was like a 2 stage process, is this normal?

And there was also a visible delay in the shift, so the small display above the cluster which shows which gear you are in, when doing the above the display would change from say 5th to 4th and then down to 2nd but the actual change wouldn’t happen at the same time. I pointed this out to the salesman but he didn’t understand what I meant at first so I did it about 4 times before he saw it/understood what I was talking about. He said it may need a software update to resolve, again is this normal?

The E on the other hand was not smooth when it was cold, and moving away and at slow speed it was jerky and not refined, after driving around town and once it was warm it was much better and as you would expect, however it did something that was quiet alarming when it happened! Nearing the end of the test, and getting to a long open road that was thankfully clear of other traffic I asked it was ok to open it up, when I did it kicked down and took off from around 35’ish, it continued to accelerate until it went to change from 3rd to 4th it felt like it had hit an invisible wall (it was in S+ at the time), at first I thought the limiter was on but it wasn’t and I had definitely not touched either of the paddles. It was quiet alarming and I asked the salesman what the hell was that? He looked as puzzled as I was.!

Without realising I had completely lifted off the accelerator and the car was now coasting, as we approached a roundabout I’d moved my foot to cover the brake pedal whilst looking through the menu’s to check if anything else was ‘on’ that could have caused it to do that, but there wasn’t. As there were no other cars around I continued to coast the car onto the roundabout whilst applying a small amount of pressure on the brake (I was doing around 15mph now, half way round I touched the accelerator to continue round and off the roundabout, when I did this the pedal felt light (almost like it was in neutral), the revs shoot up and there was the typical growl from the exhaust but no increase in speed. I looked down whilst going to press the accelerator again, the car was in ‘D’ but the same thing happened. At this point another car had approached and joined the roundabout and was approaching from behind. There was nothing I could do than to put the hazards on as I exited the roundabout at about 4mph, it had enough momentum for me to crawl the car to the side of the road. When out the way and completely stopped I pushed the brake pedal and pressed the P button to select park, when I lifted of the brake the car very slowly started to roll so I had to press the brake, I then moved it back into D, as I lifted of the brake the car started to roll again but this was not a ‘creep’ type roll, it was the same as when I put I’d tried to put it in Park (as though it was in neutral/freewheeling). The engine was responding to the throttle however there was no drive. The salesman asked me to switch the car off and then restart which I did and it was fine afterwards, we went up that same stretch of road again and it was fine afterwards. Has anyone experienced this before and do you know what could have caused it?

Thanks

Doesn't sound right
I got a very quick passenger ride in a mapped e63 5.5 and wasn't blown away in fact it didn't feel much faster than my c
Maybe it was that car or the driver but I would need to try another to be sure

I never thought my SL63 was in any way disappointing acceleration wise although mine was either in S+ or manual. It did have the Performance Pack though. I couldn't fault the car in any department whatsoever, but if I were in the position of buying one now I'd go for the later twin turbo model.
I liked revving the N/A engine up to the limit once warm as the sound was superb but when I did the four hour stint in the twin turbo SL63 at MB World the drive home in my N/A Sl63 made me realise there was quite a difference in the two cars. The twin turbo SL63 had a more 'urgent' and kick in the back feeling than the N/A but I didn't think it was that much quicker but I think the later version did have the edge overall.

I agree, summat wrong here. My `E ` takes off like a missile when you press the loud pedal. If you have no drive when in `drive` then there is a serious clutch/gearbox issue. Walk away from that one ! This would also explain the invisible brick wall on gear changes. I would go and look at a proper one that actually works, before you decide.

I never thought my SL63 was in any way disappointing acceleration wise although mine was either in S+ or manual. It did have the Performance Pack though. I couldn't fault the car in any department whatsoever, but if I were in the position of buying one now I'd go for the later twin turbo model.
I liked revving the N/A engine up to the limit once warm as the sound was superb but when I did the four hour stint in the twin turbo SL63 at MB World the drive home in my N/A Sl63 made me realise there was quite a difference in the two cars. The twin turbo SL63 had a more 'urgent' and kick in the back feeling than the N/A but I didn't think it was that much quicker but I think the later version did have the edge overall.

Thanks for you message mate, the SL I viewed was the twin turbo model, and it was the 'Full Fat' version too....so 585hp and 663lb FT, I asked the question multiple times about whether it was the higher power model, and even pointed out that on Merc's own used car site its stated as not being the higher power model, but they assured me it was and said they'd checked the Data Card, the manager came out and confirmed it was the higher power version aswell.

I think with the SL it was a psychological block that didn't let me gel with it...as when the manager did come out and talk to me it was he who told me that it was an ex-Brooklands car (up until then the sales guys Id been speaking to on the phone and in person, one said it was taken in as PX and the other told me it was an ex directors car...hence the spec). But when the manager told me it was a Brooklands car it kinda put me off and when on the test drive I could here squeaks from around the dash like I had in my 507 i think I'd already made my mind up that it wasn't the one.

In terms of performance as I mentioned in my first post the car was quick but not as fast as I'd imagined it was going to be.

But I won't give up and am gonna view another one this weekend.

Thanks

I agree, summat wrong here. My `E ` takes off like a missile when you press the loud pedal. If you have no drive when in `drive` then there is a serious clutch/gearbox issue. Walk away from that one ! This would also explain the invisible brick wall on gear changes. I would go and look at a proper one that actually works, before you decide.

Hi Steve, your right and as much as I liked the E, what happened on the test drive set off alarm bells, what made me laugh was that the salesman took me inside and asked me why I wasn't sure....I kinda scratched U head

Hi Steve, your right and as much as I liked the E, what happened on the test drive set off alarm bells, what made me laugh was that the salesman took me inside and asked me why I wasn't sure....I kinda scratched My head as I thought, "you were on the test drive with me, so you know what happened!"

When he proceeded to say don't worry it comes with a warranty and if anything does go wrong it will be fixed free of charge...it was at this point I decided to wish him luck, get up and walk out.

Sorry about the dodgy replies, using a phone (well trying to)...:wallbash:

Are you currently in a 507 ??

Nope, sold the beast a few weeks back. Need to update my profile just not been on the forum for ages....will do it tonight.

Was gonna say, I used to have one too, awsome car. In reality, the power you should feel from an E63, should be very similar, albeit without the same soundtrack....

Yes, an absolute fantastic car (in fact the best I've ever owned) and when it went I promised myself that when finances allowed me to have more than one 'Weekend' car I'd get another.

When I test drove the E, that's what I was hoping for, for it to be a match for the 507 only more refined, but the one I drove wasn't.

As mentioned I'm viewing an SL63 this weekend and this one does have the full Performance pack so like the one I saw it has 585hp and 663lb ft. If that one matches my expectations then I'll go for that. If not then I'll continue searching (E or SL).

Thanks for you message mate, the SL I viewed was the twin turbo model, and it was the 'Full Fat' version too....so 585hp and 663lb FT, I asked the question multiple times about whether it was the higher power model, and even pointed out that on Merc's own used car site its stated as not being the higher power model, but they assured me it was and said they'd checked the Data Card, the manager came out and confirmed it was the higher power version aswell.

I think with the SL it was a psychological block that didn't let me gel with it...as when the manager did come out and talk to me it was he who told me that it was an ex-Brooklands car (up until then the sales guys Id been speaking to on the phone and in person, one said it was taken in as PX and the other told me it was an ex directors car...hence the spec). But when the manager told me it was a Brooklands car it kinda put me off and when on the test drive I could here squeaks from around the dash like I had in my 507 i think I'd already made my mind up that it wasn't the one.

In terms of performance as I mentioned in my first post the car was quick but not as fast as I'd imagined it was going to be.

But I won't give up and am gonna view another one this weekend.

Thanks

My fault I didn't read your post properly, for some reason I thought you were thinking of the N/A SL63 I had in the past. Good luck with your search. I'm still a big fan of the SL nobody comes close to it. You can switch it into comfort mode and drive in a very relaxed manner for miles and miles (my wife even enjoyed driving it and she is not a car person) then at the press of a few buttons it's a hooligan. My four hour driving stint at MB World in the SL63 TT in truly soaking wet conditions convinced me the limits of road handling in very wet conditions of the car were way beyond what you would ever encounter in even over-enthusiastic driving mode.

No worries mate, I included some links in my first post to the cars I viewed. The SL is at a MB dealership in N.London and the E was at a Car Supermarket in Surrey, both nice looking but after the test drive definitely off the list.

SL I was going to see the weekend has sold it was a 64 plate Performance pack car at MB Beaconsfield. If someone on here bought it I'd love to hear your views?

But back to my first post I wondering what could have caused the E63 to do what it did (such a harsh change from 3rd to 4th that it felt like I'd hit something and then to loose all drive to the wheels - but no warning lights).....has anyone ever experienced this or heard of it happening.?...I've always thought that the 7G gearbox was increadibly strong.

It can do this when you hit the limiter in M mode. I read it on one of the US forums a while back. However, if you were definitely in S+ and not using the paddles then seems odd.

My sl63 is the 5.5 bi turbo.
Can't really call it underwhelming?
I find that it has to much power for daily driving.
I do find it more comfortable than my old x3 commuter motor I know have, and I'm getting around 30mpg on leisurely drives!
Different strokes I suppose.

I had a 2011 6.2 E63. The gear shifts in all modes were just right, I particularly like 'chirping' the tyres on S+ upshifts. I owned it for 6 years and absolutely loved the car.
I have just taken delivery (last week) of a new W213 E63s. It's too soon for me to comment on the differences in the trans, but I am looking forward to getting into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom