• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Out shopping with mother and car chucked it..

Blackbird1

Car
W203 C180k automatic estate
Oh yes stuck in the tea time traffic as I call it and the old girl chucked it. Driving along quite the thing mother chatting away then the big red battery warning light on the clocks (W211 E220). Then revved high wouldn't change gear eventually died 🤬

Thing is I still had full electrics ie nothing going dim (apart from me) but wouldn't start to come out of park.

Eventually after sitting about 5-10 minutes wondering whether to call the AA and get her a taxi back home.... it started!! and got us back but me having 1 eye on the clocks waiting for it to come back on and 1 eye on the rd, anyway..

I've been checking the voltage etc

With everything off the battery's reading about 12.3/4, with engine on but no load is about 14.2/3 with full load on ie both heated seats, heater full, radio, lights, front and back fogs is reading about 13.7ish

Could I say it's charging ok but probably need a battery it's I think it's the original ie 800 amp Varta. I would ideally put at least a 900 in plus a new alt for good measure.

Or is the charging ok?

Oh yes stuck in the tea time traffic as I call it and the old girl chucked it. Driving along quite the thing mother chatting away then the big red battery warning light on the clocks (W211 E220). Then revved high wouldn't change gear eventually died 🤬

Thing is I still had full electrics ie nothing going dim (apart from me) but wouldn't start to come out of park.

Eventually after sitting about 5-10 minutes wondering whether to call the AA and get her a taxi back home.... it started!! and got us back but me having 1 eye on the clocks waiting for it to come back on and 1 eye on the rd, anyway..

I've been checking the voltage etc

With everything off the battery's reading about 12.3/4, with engine on but no load is about 14.2/3 with full load on ie both heated seats, heater full, radio, lights, front and back fogs is reading about 13.7ish

Could I say it's charging ok but probably need a battery it's I think it's the original ie 800 amp Varta. I would ideally put at least a 900 in plus a new alt for good measure.

Or is the charging ok?
Can't edit as it's too bloody long 🙄

Sigh. Any reason not to put the battery on a battery charger or conditioner?

It's that time of year.

(There are other possible explanations but this is "that time of year.")

Sigh. Any reason not to put the battery on a battery charger or conditioner?

It's that time of year.

(There are other possible explanations but this is "that time of year.")
No need for the sigh ya sarky bugger I already and said didn't I!

Very helpful post 🙄

No need for the sigh ya sarky bugger I already and said didn't I!

Very helpful post 🙄
Sarky because it's a story that's been repeated on here, and elsewhere, all through December.

Cold weather.

I disagree that you need a new battery. Greta would not be impressed that you throw away rather than bother to charge a battery.

Another vote for the crank position sensor going phut. Should be easy enough to fit a new one on a 4 cylinder e220. Plenty of engine bay room around the bell housing area where the cps lives.

It sounds like the charging is fine - that voltage is just what I would expect.
I would get the battery charged up and load tested just to eliminate it. No point spending lots of dosh if not necessary.
If that’s ok, I would be looking elswhere, taking my first advice (well second after mine 😇) from the previous posters.
Hope it gets sorted in time for mum to do all of her Christmas shopping 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It sounds like the charging is fine - that voltage is just what I would expect.
I would get the battery charged up and load tested just to eliminate it. No point spending lots of dosh if not necessary.
If that’s ok
Prob is ie charging fine but getting it load tested tomorrow as you say and take it from there.

I see the mods keep an eye on things or maybe haven't saw it yet.

Reactions: Ted
Took the battery out and has d/a 6/01/2020 written on the side I know that's when it was bought new or 2nd mit but what's d/a.

If there is no date manufactured label the first two digits of the serial number of the battery will tell you the year and month of manufacture.

Year is single numeric, month is alpha (A-L)

Last edited:
Mike, yea I saw it stamped on one of the posts too
According to Varta's site it's the 33rd week of the year ie 2019. So it's just over 4 years old.
I've got it on charge but will get it proper load tested later today but maybe it's time for a new one.

I know hence answering above, I know the post was far to long etc. So times things need explaining but not that and annoyed me that after a certain time I couldn't edit and mods didn't delete it.
Anyway, a deep breath 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom