R500 smoke from exhaust on startup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2

Car
Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16v, Lancia Delta HF LS Turbo 16V, C240, C36 ///AMG
I have recently noticed puffs of smoke from my exhaust on start up after the engine has warmed up, it's ok on first start up of the day, however after it's been driven and parked for a short time it emits a puff of smoke which smells of oil on start up. I can also get it to smoke if I let it idle for a while and then rev the engine whilst stationary.

I did notice the smoke till I changed the engine oil with Mobil 1, could that be the cause ?. The cars done 120k and runs smoothly apart from the occasional puff of smoke. What could be the issue ?

So it wasn't smoking before you changed the oil?
I did not notice any smoking prior to doing the oil change. I bought the car last November but did.t drive it for about a month whilst waiting for reg etc documents to come through, I then carried out an engine flush and oil change.

Obvious, but ………
I take it it’s the correct grade and spec for engine and it not over filled?

Obvious, but ………
I take it it’s the correct grade and spec for engine and it not over filled?

I measeured exactly 8.5 L , the handbook recommended Mobil 1

I would suspect that mobil 1 is too thin,would try the correct grade MB spec oil from someone like MB Newcastle who have a eBay outlet.

I measeured exactly 8.5 L , the handbook recommended Mobil 1

'Mobil1' is the name of a group of products.

You need a Mobil1 oil that has the correct MB Spec Sheet - MB229.5 (for petrol engines, and for Diesel engines without DPF)

In fact, it does not have to be Mobil1, i.e. any engine oil will do as long as it has the correct MB Spec Sheet approval.

And if you're after thicker oil, then avoid the 40 oils, instead opt for 5w-30 or 0w-30.

The issue is most likely worn valve stem seals.

You need a Mobil1 oil that has the correct MB Spec Sheet - MB229.5 (for petrol engines, and for Diesel engines without DPF)

In fact, it does not have to be Mobil1, i.e. any engine oil will do as long as it has the correct MB Spec Sheet approval.

And if you're after thicker oil, then avoid the 40 oils, instead opt for 5w-30 or 0w-30.

Mercedes-AMG oil is 0W-40; you'll be fine with any oil of that grade approved by MB to 229.5.

I used 0W40.

The issue is most likely worn valve stem seals.

Mercedes-AMG oil is 0W-40; you'll be fine with any oil of that grade approved by MB to 229.5.
I'll drain a liter of it and top up with Stop Smoke to see if it stops

Mmmm , not sure I would add anything to the oil to help it stop smoking. You need to be inspecting spark plugs and maybe looking in the cylinders with a suitable camera before going any further.

Classic valve stem oil seal symptoms. Blue smoke from a cold start or been left to stand as the oil seeps past the seal into the combustion chamber. Another good test to be sure is to go down a long incline with you foot off the throttle only using engine braking....this causes more vacuum and suck oils into the chambers....when you push the throttle down again all the oil thats been suckin in will burn off in a puff of blue smoke....that's def the seals if that happens. 120k miles for valve stem seals would not be unheard of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom