• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Rapid , unscheduled disassembly!

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Bentley Bentayga D V8, BMW i3
This phrase was used to describe the fact that Elon Musk's SpaceX company's mammoth new rocket blew up shortly after take off today.
The launch was described as a 'success':eek:
This claim will now 'Trump' (I use the word advisably!) the use in the States of a "negative patient care outcome" to mean death.
Weasel words does not really cover it!:oops:

This phrase was used to describe the fact that Elon Musk's SpaceX company's mammoth new rocket blew up shortly after take off today.
The launch was described as a 'success':eek:
This claim will now 'Trump' (I use the word advisably!) the use in the States of a "negative patient care outcome" to mean death.
Weasel words does not really cover it!:oops:
Apparently 30% of initial rocket launches end in failure , this one was covered in sensors , so they have learnt loads for the next attempt.

Apparently 30% of initial rocket launches end in failure , this one was covered in sensors , so they have learnt loads for the next attempt.
I fully understand that these are all pioneering, but perhaps 'limited success' would have been closer to the truth. Oh! I'm sorry if that gets in the way a of a good story!

I fully understand that these are all pioneering, but perhaps 'limited success' would have been closer to the truth. Oh! I'm sorry if that gets in the way a of a good story!
It was incredible watching the launch , very emotional seeing that power .

Only if one is lifted, albeit only slightly, from the seat… 🚀
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

SpaceX's huge Starship rocket, the most powerful ever built, blasted off on an unpiloted maiden flight Thursday and successfully flew for more than two minutes before tumbling out of control and exploding in a cloud of flaming debris.

"Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent," said SpaceX engineer John Insprucker, serving as a launch commentator on the company's webcast.

SpaceX Starship rocket explodes after launch

The SpaceX Starship rocket explodes after launch for a flight test from Starbase in Boca Chica, Texas, on April 20, 2023. PATRICK T. FALLON/AFP via Getty Images
"Now this was a development test, this was the first test flight of Starship, and the goal is to gather the data and as we said, clear the pad and get ready to go again. So you never know exactly what's going to happen, but as we promised, excitement is guaranteed! Starship gave us a rather spectacular end to what was truly an incredible test."
Tweeted SpaceX founder Elon Musk, who monitored launch from the SpaceX control center in Boca Chica, Texas: "Congrats @SpaceX team on an exciting test launch of Starship! Learned a lot for next test launch in a few months."

Thursday's launch was the second attempt, after a countdown was scrubbed on Monday due to a frozen valve.

Thrilling thousands of area residents, tourists and journalists looking on from nearby South Padre Island, the 33 methane-fueled Raptor engines powering the Super Heavy first stage roared to life at 9:30 a.m. EDT, two minutes later than planned because of minor technical snags.

The engines quickly throttled up to 16 million pounds of thrust — twice the power of the current record holder, NASA's SLS moon rocket — and the gargantuan rocket majestically climbed away from SpaceX's "Starbase" launch facility.

With its engines gulping some 40,000 pounds of propellant per second, the rocket initially climbed straight up and then gracefully tilted over onto an easterly trajectory toward the Florida Straits.

The SpaceX Starship rocket lifts off from the launchpad

The SpaceX Starship rocket lifts off from the launchpad during a flight test from Starbase in Boca Chica, Texas, on April 20, 2023. PATRICK T. FALLON/AFP via Getty Images
on-screen graphics in the SpaceX webcast showed three of the 33 Raptor engines had either shut down moments after liftoff or never ignited in the first place — two in an outer ring of 20 fixed Raptors and one of the 13 central steerable engines. Three more outer engines shut down over the next minute and 20 seconds or so

If I remember correctly, SpaceX' first three Falcon-1 rockets all blew up one after the other in 2006, 2007, and 2008, at which point they had just enough money left for one more rocket, and the next one was indeed a success.

If I remember correctly, SpaceX' first three Falcon-1 rockets all blew up one after the other in 2006, 2007, and 2008, at which point they had just enough money left for one more rocket, and the next one was indeed a success.
Yep, and Elon was not a happy chappy.

A couple of my other favourite gobbledytech phrases are:
Suffered a rapid corrosion event.....It caught fire.
Area of tactile instability....wet paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom