• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

rear number plate light

paj1

Car
slk 200
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum so hello to everyone. I have a 2005 SLK 200 which seems to have a weird fault with the rear number plate lights. Two new bulbs have been fitted and they work for a period of time but every now and again the no plate lights fault shows up and the lights stop working. I have noticed that when the boot lid is lifted to a certain height the boot courtesy light goes out also. The last time I had the fault the fault seemed to clear and the plate lights worked after restarting the engine. Does anyone have any experience of a similar fault or any advice? Thank you in advance for any help.

guessing set up may be similar to what's on my '06 CLK which is very lo-tech no plate lights where the metal contacts for bulb may need pressing in so bulb is gripped securely, may be slightly corroded and plastic covers & gasket replace them if worn, one of mine had lost a part which keeps bulb pressed in
is boot lamp light sensitive, does it switch off as you describe but at night - trace the wiring behind the boot lining look for damage/corrosion

Thanks for your reply Kudly. I have had a look at the bulbs, holders, etc The bulbs light up fine when they work. I'll check the boot at night - good point. If not I think, as you say start looking further into the wiring.

I have found the problem, there is a break in the wire/s between where the loom enters the lid grommet and where it attaches to the clip on the boot hinge. Does anyone know how to open this clip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom