• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Red or blue coolant? Confused by MB dealer...

dudes45

Car
2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Elegance
So, I have spoken to a MB dealer and provided my registration and they told me I needed the blue coolant, I said thanks and said it was currently red in the car which was a bit odd. Then they said I can use either red or blue... Can someone please confirm which one it should be or does it not matter? I was going to buy the Mercedes coolant.

I have a 2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Elegance V6 Petrol

Also, slightly unrelated but should I be using Premium Fuel or is the normal fuel fine in the UK? I'm currently using Premium.

So, I have spoken to a MB dealer and provided my registration and they told me I needed the blue coolant, I said thanks and said it was currently red in the car which was a bit odd. Then they said I can use either red or blue... Can someone please confirm which one it should be or does it not matter? I was going to buy the Mercedes coolant.

I have a 2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Elegance V6 Petrol

Also, slightly unrelated but should I be using Premium Fuel or is the normal fuel fine in the UK? I'm currently using Premium.
You want standard fuel in your car , it will say which one inside the fuel filler cap . It will be 95 Ron.
Cant help with the coolant , but try someone like Opie oils for another opinion.

You want standard fuel in your car , it will say which one inside the fuel filler cap . It will be 95 Ron.
Cant help with the coolant , but try someone like Opie oils for another opinion.
I did check there but I must be blind. Haha. Thank you!

"Premium" fuel IS the normal 95ron fuel in the UK......"Super" is the higher octane stuff that you wont need. You cant buy "Regular" (usually about 92 ron) in the UK.....anyone else remember 3 star fuel.....or even 2 star???

Last edited:
"Premium" fuel IS the normal 95ron fuel in the UK......"Super" is the higher octane stuff that you wont need. You cant buy "Regular" (usually about 92 ron) in the UK.....anyone else remember 3 star fuel.....or even 2 star???

If it has red coolant in it… then stick with red….

You can’t mix them… or it’ll end badly!

If you do want to change, you’ll need to drain the entire system, (I would give it a flush with water) and then refill….

You don’t need premium fuel for a CLK320 - save your money.

If it has red coolant in it… then stick with red….

You can’t mix them… or it’ll end badly!

If you do want to change, you’ll need to drain the entire system, (I would give it a flush with water) and then refill….

You don’t need premium fuel for a CLK320 - save your money.
Hi, thanks! Yeah, I was planning on flushing it if I needed to change it.

Okay, will do, thanks. :)

Red / Blue coolant ...
What's the difference ?
Does it much matter ... as long as you don't mix them ?
Both my cars have blue in them.
I used blue in my three W210s and my W126.

Red / Blue coolant ...
What's the difference ?
Does it much matter ... as long as you don't mix them ?
Both my cars have blue in them.
I used blue in my three W210s and my W126.
No idea, I've seen some people say it has to be the correct one and it can cause problems if not, but who knows?

For some reason it doesn't say in my filler cap, all it says is unleaded fuel only and the tyre pressures. At least I'm not blind I guess.

I've flushed coolant systems 3 times, even using a water only for a couple of days, some colour still remains and using the different stuff can look gungy brown.

As said, stick with the colour that's in.

I've flushed coolant systems 3 times, even using a water only for a couple of days, some colour still remains and using the different stuff can look gungy brown.

As said, stick with the colour that's in.
Yeah i did that back in the day.

Mixed red and blue. Turned to brown gloop. Took forever to flush out

Reactions: m80
The problem is, outside the MB Spec coolant, colour means nothing.

You can have loads of colours of HOAT cooalant and mixing them will cause issues. All MBs or your Era will be filled with 325.00 spec coolant, which is blue from MB, It has a 15 year or 150,000 mile interval.

Wow.....that a long way! I was not aware is of antifreeze that can last that long....usually 5 years is about the limit. It will stop the car engine freezing forever at the right concentration....but the anti corrosive properties fade at 5 years on regular stuff. Generally the five year life stuff used to be purple/pink and the two year stuff is green/ blue....but not so much these days....

Last edited:
Red is always the colour of G12 coolant. It has a higher boiling point which can be useful but it is designed for engines with a high Magnesium alloy content and is less likely to cause corrosion in these engines. It’s perfectly OK a to use in any engine but , as correctly stated above in a few posts , it should not be mixed with any other ‘regular’ coolant. I had an Audi which demanded G12 and currently have a V4 engine motorcycle which also demands it. Hope this helps…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom