• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

S211 E500 2004 braking noise

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I used the car after about 4 weeks a couple of days ago, and after about 10 miles heard a weird assortment of rattling, clanking, and knocking noises when braking from speed towards a roundabout on a dual carriageway. I went back along the carriageway to my local indy a couple of miles away, and the noises continued intermittently to great or lesser degree whenever I braked, easing in volume at lower speeds.

Up on the ramp all the brake components are healthy, plenty of life left, and all secure. They road tested the car and couldn't replicate the sound. Reassured, I made a 120 mile round trip yesterday, with the noises coming back intermittently, and I think it's more from the engine bay.

I'll get it booked in for a thorough check next week, but I'm curious as to what it could be. The brakes work perfectly, SBC hold and cruise control work fine. I'm wondering if any of the pressurised components would make any of these noises? The SBC pump was replaced about 60k miles/14 years ago, and in that time it has covered probably 85% motorway miles. Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

I’m sure they would have checked, but I’d look at the brake heat shields.

I’m sure they would have checked, but I’d look at the brake heat shields.
Thanks, Will, that does fit with the kinds of noises I was hearing if I think about it.

Thanks, Will, that does fit with the kinds of noises I was hearing if I think about it.
I think they’re aluminium, and they can fracture/break around the mounting points.

They’ll be 20 years old by now if they’re (likely) original.

They're entitled to rattle a bit then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom