• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SLK (R171) cabin temperature sensor location

Gilbertd

Car
2007 R171 SLK280
2007, SLK280 with an intermittent heating/AC problem. Temperature set to 20 degrees so it should maintain that. Most of the time it does but at odd times, the car can be left parked in the sun so is very hot inside and the AC doesn't kick in unless the temperature knob is turned down to the lowest setting. Other times, in the winter, the interior of the car can be very cold and unless the temperature knob is turned up to maximum, it doesn't give heat. I'll stress that this is intermittent and at other times it will work exactly as it should. This would point to it not being able to detect the cabin interior temperature so it doesn't know whether to heat or cool so does nothing.

Earlier this week I plugged my iCarSoft in and the live data showed exterior temperature 28 degrees, coolant temperature 83 degrees, AC evaporator temperature 6.2 degrees and would also show me the flap positions but nowhere does it appear to show me an interior temperature. At that time it was working correctly and the climate control system was blowing nice cool air but probably 2 out of 5 times, it doesn't and just gives ambient air from the vents (not pleasant when it is 28 degrees outside and even hotter inside the car).

My thinking is that for it to know if it needs to cool down or heat up the interior it needs to know what the interior temperature is so it would have an interior temperature sensor. If it does, where is it and what would it be known as? I run a Range Rover and diagnostics for that refer to it as the Aspirator, so it might be there but called something odd. So the question is, where is it as the symptoms would point to it being intermittent but unless I can find it there isn't a lot I can do. I posted in this thread CLK Convertible clogged sensor vent (or any convertible) | Interior on a similar topic but as it is headed CLK and not SLK probably wouldn't be looked at by SLK owners.

Maybe but Ugh, a Verticalscope owned forum. I'm Admin on one of their forii and they have castrated just about every one they have bought out. That's why I prefer this one, UK based and not own by them.

I've had a reply on the CLK thread suggesting it might be in the overhead panel but that still doesn't explain why diagnostics don't display the output from it.

There's 3 sets of slots up there. One I've always assumed was the mic for the hands free phone system and the others are there to look pretty. It looks like I'm going to have to drop it down to see what lives in there, hopefully a dust encrusted cabin temp sensor.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom