• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Switched 12v supply in front of vehicle

omega1

Car
E400d 2019 4matic (C238)
Hi all,

On the W213 is there anywhere in the front I can get a switched 12v for dashcam? Or do I have to run it from the fuse box in the back?

Thanks.

Had to run my w204 from the boot, it was a pain, but worth it.

Usually picked up from the front fag lighter if you have one.
But not in N America.

I use an OBD power adapter with built in switch.

That way I can choose between ignition or permanent live, useful if you want use parking mode on dashcam occasionally.

Just doing mine again this morning, taking the feed from the interior light cluster and using screened cable.
Originally took it from the cigarette lighter with basic cable but got a lot of radio interference, especially on DAB.

Just doing mine again this morning, taking the feed from the interior light cluster and using screened cable.
Originally took it from the cigarette lighter with basic cable but got a lot of radio interference, especially on DAB.
As in the light cluster above the rear view mirror? Is there a switched supply there? Do you have more info? Thanks.

As in the light cluster above the rear view mirror? Is there a switched supply there? Do you have more info? Thanks.
Yes that's the one.
IMG_1831.JPG

Prize down the cluster and I found a Blue/red wire in the blue connector that is switched live.
Use a suitable brown one for the earth.

IMG_1832.JPG

Connect this to a 12v to 5v stepdown module via an inline fuse. like this

Use screened cable to minimise any radio interference. likethis.

Job done.
IMG_1833.JPG

I cut off the USB plug from the lead, soldered the red and black wires to the blue/red and brown car wires. then heat shrunk all the connections. As soon as the car is unlocked the camera comes on, when locked the camera goes of after couple of seconds.

Yes that's the one.
View attachment 116101

Prize down the cluster and I found a Blue/red wire in the blue connector that is switched live.
Use a suitable brown one for the earth.

View attachment 116102

Connect this to a 12v to 5v stepdown module via an inline fuse. like this

Use screened cable to minimise any radio interference. likethis.

Job done.
View attachment 116103

I cut off the USB plug from the lead, soldered the red and black wires to the blue/red and brown car wires. then heat shrunk all the connections. As soon as the car is unlocked the camera comes on, when locked the camera goes of after couple of seconds.
Awesome! Thanks so much, already have the bits so will get onto that. Really didn't want to route a cable to the back (again!)

Thanks again.

@geoffus Quick question if I may, how did you get the console to come out? I read that you have to push a card up and it pops out, but mine seems really stiff and I feel I'm going to break it, it 'did' come out slightly, but only on one side.

Any tricks or tips?

I watched this but mine really doesn't pop out like that
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210727_131910.png
    20210727_131910.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@geoffus Quick question if I may, how did you get the console to come out? I read that you have to push a card up and it pops out, but mine seems really stiff and I feel I'm going to break it, it 'did' come out slightly, but only on one side.

Any tricks or tips?

I watched this but mine really doesn't pop out like that
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks!

On mine there are 2 clips that need to be prized back to release the console, it hinges at the back, I used a steel ruler it takes a fair bit of pressure to release it.
IMG_1831.JPG

Hmmm, mine is slightly different, see pic, anyone know how to get into this type?

Thank you in advance.20210728_133837.jpg

I think you may need more than credit cards to remove the console as its a good fit.
Did mine again today with a steel ruler, needs a bit of force.
IMG_1843.JPGIMG_1844.JPGIMG_1845.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom