• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Vito W447 Temperature fluctuation - increases with high throttle and decreases with hardly any throttle

FiveStarSAMz

Car
Mercedes Vito W447
Hello guys! I have a mind-boggling issue with my Mercedes Vito Minibus W447 2018.

So randomly I have been having the temperature fluctuation on the temperature gauge. I went on a long 15-hour drive this weekend and here’s what I found.

Temperature dropping: When going at a constant speed at 70mph or constant rpm, the temp gauge will stay at the usual 90deg. But when I try to put the heater on, it blows out cold air. As soon as I lift my foot off the throttle for a little while, or put it in neutral for downhill roads, the heater will become hot again, and the temp gauge will drop to just above 40deg and will keep fluctuating between 40-80 deg for like a minute or so. It'll be a quick fluctuation before staying around 80 degrees and then eventually 90 degrees when I’m driving normal again. The heater will still be hot for a little while (about 15 minutes, enough to keep me warm again.)

Temperature increasing: Again when going at a constant motorway speed (50-70mph), the temp gauge will be normal at 90deg, but as soon as I put a bit of power for let’s say when I want to overtake or I am going up a hill, the temp gauge will increase above 90 deg. I would hear the fan kick in. Depending on how much power I give or how steep the hill is and how long I give the power, will determine if it will go up to 120 degrees or more. But it’ll come down pretty quickly when I ease off the throttle.

When the temperature was up above 120deg on the motorway, I lost all feedback to the throttle, whatever I was doing to the throttle, nothing happened to the van, and I was slowing down. So I had to pull over on the hard shoulder for a few seconds and it was only when the temperature went towards 90deg, I regained throttle control.

So far, I got one thermostat changed but it did not make any difference.

I have a xentry and nothing really comes up as error codes. I’m not a mechanic so I don’t know what to look out for. Any help would be much appreciated.

Similar thing happened on my Ranger pickup when the coolant level went too low due to a loose hose clamp.....i nipped up the clamp and topped it up but then the temp was all over the place......turned out to be a BIG airlock. After proper bleeding normal service was resumed.

Similar thing happened on my Ranger pickup when the coolant level went too low due to a loose hose clamp.....i nipped up the clamp and topped it up but then the temp was all over the place......turned out to be a BIG airlock. After proper bleeding normal service was resumed.
Okay, I was thinking it could be an airlock but the coolant level was always fine and there hasn't been any changes recently for it to cause an airlock, unless it is possible to get an airlock randomly.

Regardless, I will do a full coolant flush from somewhere to eliminate an airlock, I don't know how complicated it is, so best to leave it with the professionals. And then I will report back here.

Okay, I was thinking it could be an airlock but the coolant level was always fine and there hasn't been any changes recently for it to cause an airlock, unless it is possible to get an airlock randomly.

Regardless, I will do a full coolant flush from somewhere to eliminate an airlock, I don't know how complicated it is, so best to leave it with the professionals. And then I will report back here.
A flush will replace fluid - not air.
Eradicating the last pocket of air can be a PITA on some vehicles. Identifying the highest point in the system that it can be bled from then ensuring it is the highest point of the system is what is required. That last point can sometimes involve lifting the corner of the vehicle where the bleed point is located. Ground that isn't level can make or break the endeavour.

An air bubble can indeed cause this issue. Air does not transfer heat as well as the coolant fluid does. When the air bubble reaches the sensor, the temp gauge will show a drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom