• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W169 A200 Turbo with 225/40/18 tyres

tommerc49

Car
B200 CDI Sport (W245) / A200 Turbo Manual (W169)
The time has come to replace the tyres on my W169. Being the Turbo model it obviously has the sport suspension. It's fitted with the standard 18" Alloys and 215/40/18 Falken rubber.

From my understanding, in order to keep the rolling radius true (and not upset the speedo readout), if I wanted to fit 225's I would need to lower the profile from 40 down to 35 (so 225/35/18's).

However the tyres I want - Toyo T1-R's do not come in a 225-35-18. I'm also reluctant to go down to a 35 profile through fear of it becoming even more uncomfortable.

So my question is - does anyone know if 225/40/18's will physically fit without rubbing?

From experience with previous cars the speedo readout with such a minimal change will not be hugely impacted. I also have a Cheetah camera detector which I use for watching my speed anyway as it's more accurate.
My only concern is spending £100's on new tyres only to then find they rub. I've read this and it doesn't say I can fit these tyres, but it also doesn't say I can't :D

Anyone fitted 225/40/18's to the W169 with or without sport suspension?

In a nutshell, they will fit BUT there are slight differences which need to be considered. I have used the info you have provided and inputted it into the following link, suggest you do the same, as I didn't know your ET or width of wheel, so just kept them the same for comparison. This should help you out....

Custom rims, wheel tire packages

In a nutshell, they will fit BUT there are slight differences which need to be considered. I have used the info you have provided and inputted it into the following link, suggest you do the same, as I didn't know your ET or width of wheel, so just kept them the same for comparison. This should help you out....

Custom rims, wheel tire packages

Thanks a lot Abb, brilliant little tool that!
I'll need to remove one of my wheels and check the width/ ET to be sure, but for now I just went with the details found on an eBay listing for which looks like the same wheel as mine.
Oddly the wheel on eBay is apparently from a A170 2005 plate, yet fitted with 225/40/18's... so that's positive!

Here's the results i pulled from that online calculator you linked me to...

Attachments

• Custom rims  wheel tire packages.png
    Custom rims wheel tire packages.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Abb
Yup, went through that exact consideration (and the same comparison tool) two years ago - I wanted GY EfficientGrip and they didn't come in 215/40:

27924819839_7db3d4fe94_o.png

Have the 225/40 fitted, and am very pleased with them - the ride is nicer, the speedo is spot on, and a little bit more rim protection.
I've just replaced the drive axle pair with GY Eagle F1 Asym3, also 225/40 18"

Here's the AMG 18" spec for W169 Sports suspension (MB W169 brochure screenshot):

38805702745_586afbbfea_o.png

Last edited:
Yup, went through that exact consideration (and the same comparison tool) two years ago - I wanted GY EfficientGrip and they didn't come in 215/40:

Have the 225/40 fitted, and am very pleased with them - the ride is nicer, the speedo is spot on, and a little bit more rim protection.
I've just replaced the drive axle pair with GY Eagle F1 Asym3, also 225/40 18"

Here's the AMG 18" spec for W169 Sports suspension (MB W169 brochure screenshot):

38805702745_586afbbfea_o.png

Thanks a lot GLK, always a great help - really wasn't looking forward to having to remove a wheel on such a cold and wet day!

You seem to speak very highly of them, but how do you rate your tyre choice performance-wise (in both wet and dry)?

Back in the day the Eagle F1's were always my go-to tyre choice (when they had the v-shaped thread pattern), but since those are no longer produced and having tried their replacements (long ago, so they may have come on leaps and bounds since), I just didn't like them. I found them to be well over-priced and handling-wise they just didn't compare to the old-style E F1's.
I then gave Toyo T1R's a try and have been using them ever since. They're one of the cheapest 'big brand' tyres out there, good for both road and track use, are hard-wearing, look the part, and handle like a dream in both wet and dry. I really don't believe the ratings the T1R's have do them justice.

That said, I also don't understand how the majority of 'budget tyres' seem to have much better ratings than the more expensive/bigger branded tyres. For that reason I always take these 'official ratings' with a pinch of salt.
Granted the downside of the T1R's is the noise they produce - not the quietest tyre on the market, but given the grip they provide I've always been able to see (or HEAR!) past it.

I did have a look at the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's earlier today (only slightly more expensive than the T1R's). Not sure if I dare try them or stick to my usual tyre of choice.
Then you go and throw a spanner in the works with your F1's. If official ratings are to be believed they must create very little road noise?

Reactions: GLK
In the past I always went with what was on the car, when it was delivered, but when I bought my C169 it was just too noisy.

After some (not much) research, GY EfficientGrip were recommended, so I got them two years ago, replacing the stock Contis (a pair of 2s, and another of almost brand new 5s, that I sold off rather well).

New tyres, in my opinion, were/are better in every way, certainly much quieter, good handling, both wet and dry. I like them.
Not the most hard-wearing though - front ones were about 3.5mm, when I replaced them today, after only 8k miles. Rears are still over 6mm.
Maybe I need to ease off of the throttle pedal ... Nah! :)

I decided on the replacement F1 As3, based, again, on what was recommended here.

With the mileage I do, the price difference is relegated to tertiary position, below noise (my wife is very sensitive to that) and comfort.

In the past I always went with what was on the car, when it was delivered, but when I bought my C169 it was just too noisy.

After some (not much) research, GY EfficientGrip were recommended, so I got them two years ago, replacing the stock Contis (a pair of 2s, and another of almost brand new 5s, that I sold off rather well).

New tyres, in my opinion, were/are better in every way, certainly much quieter, good handling, both wet and dry. I like them.
Not the most hard-wearing though - front ones were about 3.5mm, when I replaced them today, after only 8k miles. Rears are still over 6mm.
Maybe I need to ease off of the throttle pedal ... Nah! :)

I decided on the replacement F1 As3, based, again, on what was recommended here.

With the mileage I do, the price difference is relegated to tertiary position, below noise (my wife is very sensitive to that) and comfort.

Thank you GLK, really appreciate your feedback on the tyres. I'm not torn between the T1r's, the UR3's and the f1 As3's. Really tough decision so I think I'll need to just throw them all into a pot and go with whichever I pick out first.
Either way thanks for everyone's input; I'm a lot happier knowing 225/40's will fit

The time has come to replace the tyres on my W169. Being the Turbo model it obviously has the sport suspension. It's fitted with the standard 18" Alloys and 215/40/18 Falken rubber.

From my understanding, in order to keep the rolling radius true (and not upset the speedo readout), if I wanted to fit 225's I would need to lower the profile from 40 down to 35 (so 225/35/18's).

However the tyres I want - Toyo T1-R's do not come in a 225-35-18. I'm also reluctant to go down to a 35 profile through fear of it becoming even more uncomfortable.

So my question is - does anyone know if 225/40/18's will physically fit without rubbing?

From experience with previous cars the speedo readout with such a minimal change will not be hugely impacted. I also have a Cheetah camera detector which I use for watching my speed anyway as it's more accurate.
My only concern is spending £100's on new tyres only to then find they rub. I've read this and it doesn't say I can fit these tyres, but it also doesn't say I can't :D

Anyone fitted 225/40/18's to the W169 with or without sport suspension?
Why do you want to deviate from the size specified by Mercedes?

Why do you want to deviate from the size specified by Mercedes?

Few reasons:
1. My usual 'go-to' tyres do not come in the size recommended by Mercedes
2. The tyres recommended by Mercedes are more expensive
3. The size I wish to use will put more rubber on the road; which *should* offer better grip

As I did exactly the same, I might add:

4. Less noise
5. Speedo is spot on
6. Better mpg
7. Rim protection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom