• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W202 in the first minutes of a cold morning engine goes off several times and has no strength

knifeprtymp3

Car
W202 C200D
Hello! First time here and... my W202 c200d 1995, in the first minutes in the morning of a cold day it starts right up but then makes a loud noise of metal hitting the engine really loud and goes off several times till the engine warms up and then runs fine with a healthy engine sound the rest of the day! It started in January this year but then summer came and hot days and it ran without problems, now its starting again. Even if i give it acceleration it just wants to stop till eventually goes off. I thought it was MAF sensor but this engine doesnt have maf sensor so i dont really know where to start. Also when this happens i see a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I took it to several mechanics but all said they didnt knew what it could be. But like i said this just happens in around 10 minutes, depends on how cold the weather is, then when it reaches 80 degrees runs really fine and has a great healthy sound and no smoke! Im so confused. Any suggestion? Thanks!

Hello! First time here and... my W202 c200d 1995, in the first minutes in the morning of a cold day it starts right up but then makes a loud noise of metal hitting the engine really loud and goes off several times till the engine warms up and then runs fine with a healthy engine sound the rest of the day! It started in January this year but then summer came and hot days and it ran without problems, now its starting again. Even if i give it acceleration it just wants to stop till eventually goes off. I thought it was MAF sensor but this engine doesnt have maf sensor so i dont really know where to start. Also when this happens i see a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I took it to several mechanics but all said they didnt knew what it could be. But like i said this just happens in around 10 minutes, depends on how cold the weather is, then when it reaches 80 degrees runs really fine and has a great healthy sound and no smoke! Im so confused. Any suggestion? Thanks!
Poor starting in cold weather. Are all your glow plugs working? Does the GP dash light stay on after the engine has started? This indicates one or more of your glowplugs are not working. This can also cause smoke from your exhaust.
Cutting out on cold weather starts. Any diesel fuel leaks? Can you smell diesel in the engine bay? Fuel pipe O rings are known to leak in colder conditions but be fine in warmer weather. Injection pump delivery seals (Bosch inline pump) may also leak in colder weather. No idea about Lucas injection pumps. Easy enough, if a bit fiddly, to change the seals & washers on Bosch inline injection pumps.
Regarding the loud metallic noise. No idea but may be an idea to check the auxillary belt system at the front of the engine. Belt, pulleys & tensioner etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom