• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W204 won't start, thinking of upgrade to W205

DonVitto

Car
Mercedes C180 CGI Sport
I bought a used 2011 W204 (1.8 petrol) around 8 years ago. It's been a fantastic car overall, but has let me down at the weekend when it failed to start and I had it towed home. It's being towed to the garage later but I suspect the starter motor has failed.

It hasn't been without its faults - just after COVID I had to go without the car for 3 months because the rear sub-frame snapped and there were no sub-frames in stock in the UK. I eventually got this replaced FOC by Mercedes.

Other expensive things were getting the corroded brake pipes replaced, and replacing the timing chain and associated bits when that went faulty.

One of my biggest worries is the steering lock failure, which sounds both expensive and a major inconvenience in terms of recovery/towing if it fails in the locked position.

I am wondering if it's time to say goodbye and upgrade to a newer W205. I do a lot of town driving and would prefer to go for a petrol engine. I'll do some more research, but I wonder if people here have any opinion of how the W205 compares to the W204. My mechanic says the W204 is the best C-Class ever made and thinks I should stick with it!

Thanks

Cue @Skd884 telling you not to go w205 in 5-4-3..........! 😄

Got my car back today, it was the starter motor that had failed. I'm still thinking about upgrading to a W205 C200

If the steering lock is really worrying you you can unplug it while it still unlocks and fit an emulator. It’ll never bother you again

There's a lovely looking S205 C250 blue estate on Hobbs Parker Ashford auctions tomorrow with an auction estimate of £8k!! Only thing I wonder about is, as it's a diesel 205, does that mean Adblue (Euro 6 technology) with associated problems - but looks a lovely car.

There's a lovely looking S205 C250 blue estate on Hobbs Parker Ashford auctions tomorrow with an auction estimate of £8k!! Only thing I wonder about is, as it's a diesel 205, does that mean Adblue (Euro 6 technology) with associated problems - but looks a lovely car.
The S205 C250d is Euro 6 and does indeed have AddBlue, SCR, DPF and EGR. Currently ULEZ compliant too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom