• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 creaking when turning right

boxer 01

Car
w211 e320cdi sport g7 with paddleshift
Hi my 2007 e320cdi has developed a very annoying creaking/squeeking noise from the driver's side front wheel when turning right. The noise is there even when car is stationary when steering is turned. I've got a feeling its the track rod end, but if anyone has had a similar issue I would be interested to hear more.

Hi my 2007 e320cdi has developed a very annoying creaking/squeeking noise from the driver's side front wheel when turning right. The noise is there even when car is stationary when steering is turned. I've got a feeling it’s the track rod end, but if anyone has had a similar issue I would be interested to hear more.
outer track rod ends or maybe the lower ball joint on the suspensions arm ?

I had a similar noise on my 2006 E320 CDI. Two Steering racks at the dealer later, the noise remained. Never found out the cause, but they didn't know either and bought the car back.

Sorry its not better news

Well earlier with the wheel on full lock I just about managed to get to the track rod end with the plastic tube of my penetrating spray, and I sprayed the part and guess what the noise has disappeared, so I have ordered a pair of em and will soon get them changed. By the way the ones that are on are the original ones.

Still not got chance to replace the track rod ends but I've been wandering about getting the inners replaced too as the cars now on nearly 190,000 miles. I don't really want to cause unnecessary problems if they are a pain to replace.

Still not got chance to replace the track rod ends but I've been wandering about getting the inners replaced too as the cars now on nearly 190,000 miles. I don't really want to cause unnecessary problems if they are a pain to replace.
Much bigger job. Just do the outer ones first.

Lift the car up on the jack pad under the engine , just enough to get the wheels off the ground , turn the wheel and se if the noise is still there.

There will be little or no load on anything and you might be able to pinpoint it.

When was the last time the PS fluid and filter were replaced ?

Lift the car up on the jack pad under the engine , just enough to get the wheels off the ground , turn the wheel and se if the noise is still there.

There will be little or no load on anything and you might be able to pinpoint it.

When was the last time the PS fluid and filter were replaced ?
I didn't know the power steering fluid had a filter fluid was done recently.

I have recently replaced the inner track rod arms and bellows (Lemforder £50 the lot Autodoc) while it was in bits I refreshed the grease on the rack , I did the fluid 30K Miles ago but am doing it again with a new expansion/filter tank (£50 again , or much more if sourced from MB) .

That creaking is normally the ball joint in the hub. The one that is pressed in.

So why did the creaking stop after I sprayed oil into the the drivers side track rod end.
Maybe some oil went into ball joint too, only time will tell. I'm committed to changing the track rod ends and I need a wheel alignment, so I will do these and see if the creaking comes back. Maybe a closer inspection of ends might reveal what's been happening.

So why did the creaking stop after I sprayed oil into the the drivers side track rod end.
Maybe some oil went into ball joint too, only time will tell. I'm committed to changing the track rod ends and I need a wheel alignment, so I will do these and see if the creaking comes back. Maybe a closer inspection of ends might reveal what's been happening.
Because it's coming from the track rod end.

I'm just posting for other users that the majority of the time when they are creaking when turning, that it's the hub side joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom