• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 E320 Leaky steering rack

Sebs007

Car
E320
Hey everyone,

I’ve been wrestling with a leaking steering rack for what feels like forever now. It's a servotronic rack, and the issue is with the oil feed lines. One of the bolts that pass the oil through is leaking, so I decided to take it apart and try to find the right replacement gaskets. But here’s the kicker: I’ve stripped it down three times already, and still can’t find the right size gaskets to seal the deal. Every time I think I’ve got it, nope!!!

The leak isn’t Niagara Falls level, but it’s enough to be a pain. I’m topping up the reservoir pretty much every week just to keep the pump happy and avoid turning my steering wheel into a workout session.

I even talked to the local Mercedes dealer, and surprise, surprise, they don’t sell the gaskets separately. Instead, they kindly offered me a £70 “repair kit.” :doh:

So, does anyone know where I can get my hands on these tiny rubber demons that are currently giving me oily nightmares and making me leave wet patches of oil wherever I park?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Attachments

• W211 rack and pinion with servotronic.png
    W211 rack and pinion with servotronic.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 2
  • W211 rack and pinion with servotronic 2.png
    W211 rack and pinion with servotronic 2.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 2
Hey everyone,

I’ve been wrestling with a leaking steering rack for what feels like forever now. It's a servotronic rack, and the issue is with the oil feed lines. One of the bolts that pass the oil through is leaking, so I decided to take it apart and try to find the right replacement gaskets. But here’s the kicker: I’ve stripped it down three times already, and still can’t find the right size gaskets to seal the deal. Every time I think I’ve got it, nope!!!

The leak isn’t Niagara Falls level, but it’s enough to be a pain. I’m topping up the reservoir pretty much every week just to keep the pump happy and avoid turning my steering wheel into a workout session.

I even talked to the local Mercedes dealer, and surprise, surprise, they don’t sell the gaskets separately. Instead, they kindly offered me a £70 “repair kit.” :doh:

So, does anyone know where I can get my hands on these tiny rubber demons that are currently giving me oily nightmares and making me leave wet patches of oil wherever I park?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Are you talking about "O" rings?

If the £70 repair kit will give you the correct O rings then best use that as you’ll know 100% the O rings you fit are correct. I agree tis a daft price.

Just replace the gasket and leave it alone ..i tried to service one years back and the kit was £40 back in 1970 for my car . I never fixed mine .Had to have it fully serviced, it was ok for years after

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom