• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 Facelift 2006 Bi-Xenon cracked lens / mounts what to do?

Stocho

Hi,

VIN Decoder on the car gives:
600​
HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT​
618​
BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC​
619​
CORNERING ILLUMINATION​

What does it mean? Is there Xenon and Bi-Xenon for W211 as I thought on W211 main beam is the smaller Halogen light? Is Cornering illumination a feature of the headlight or is it just Fog light being turned on when steering wheel is beyond a certain angle?

And now to the main problem.... how to repair damage to W211 headlight involving broken mounts and broken lens as per picture below? I thought I could easily just buy a used headlight assembly on Ebay ... and almost bought a wrong one. It looks like even most of those that are advertised as W211 2006-2009 Xenon have a slightly different lens pattern. How many varieties are there i.e. do I need to check that they are Bi-Xenon rather than just Xenon, have Cornering illumination and Cleaning? I saw that there are just mounts being sold on Ebay - is it advisable/possible just to purchase mounts and lens and try to repair existing light ?

W211 Lights.JPG

£50,

Buy it and swap over the sidelight lense, job done. - looking at photo, only the basic sidelight is damaged in your pic. All the sidelights lenses are the same.

EDIT: - Sorry, I see you have damaged the mounts also. They should be the same

As far as I understand it............. Bi_Xenon means you have Xenon bulbs for high beam too & yes the Cornering Illumination is just the appropriate fog lamp being switched on as you turn. You just need a Bi-Xenon one, the CI & Cleaning are irrelevant. I am sure somebody will be along shortly with a part number. Good luck.

so looking at your picture, looks like a preface lift xenon headlight with cornering function.

you have two options

1. buy a used one - like gold-dust with the cornering function
2. there is a headlight tab kit to repair broken tabs, available from mercedes, looks like the lens is also cracked , so probably have to replace both lenses to match, plenty of aftermarket lens's available.

Is this a Left hand drive car?

drop me a PM , I might be able to help.

Alps

£50,

Buy it and swap over the sidelight lense, job done. - looking at photo, only the basic sidelight is damaged in your pic. All the sidelights lenses are the same.

EDIT: - Sorry, I see you have damaged the mounts also. They should be the same
wrong headlight, no cornering function, the rear end with the tabs is totally different as all the mounting points for the cornering hardware is not there.

Edit: just spotted your edit :)

so looking at your picture, looks like a preface lift xenon headlight with cornering function. Is this a Left hand drive car?

Thanks for a reply. The car is supposed to be a facelift but is the headlight pre-facelift? Production date is Q3 2006.

So cornering illumination function is yet another variable to consider when looking for a potential replacement as it affects the headlight and not just switches on fog light?

The car appears to be a standard UK car with wheel on the right hand side of the car. The VIN Decoder gives:
5XXL​
EUROPE​
600​
HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT​
618​
BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC​
619​
CORNERING ILLUMINATION​

Not sure what that first that mentions EUROPE but BI-XENON is for Left-Hand Traffic which I assume is UK.

Last edited:
Thanks for a reply. The car is supposed to be a facelift but is the headlight pre-facelift? Production date is Q3 2006.

So cornering illumination function is yet another variable to consider when looking for a potential replacement as it affects the headlight and not just switches on fog light?
yes, cornering headlight is when the headlight turns with the steering (visible at night) when going round corners.

headlamp tab lens and replacement lens would be the best option. defo replace both side lens so they match.

I found a light from MB scrap parts dealer the car is Q4 2006 though E220CDI rather than E320CDI.
That car it came off also had cornering illumination:
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
618 BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION

The price is 180 with 90 days warranty. It is plug and play or will require coding / adjustments?

will be plug and play

I found a light from MB scrap parts dealer the car is Q4 2006 though E220CDI rather than E320CDI.
That car it came off also had cornering illumination:
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
618 BI-XENON HEADLAMPS FOR LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION

The price is 180 with 90 days warranty. It is plug and play or will require coding / adjustments?

And after phoned them they bumped price on their website from £180 to £300.

Thought my mistake, but had a page open where the price is £180....

Obviously, not buying it at this price! Can get a brand new one at this price not off a 15 year old car!

Last edited:
yes, cornering headlight is when the headlight turns with the steering (visible at night) when going round corners.

Upon checking diagrams are you sure this is the case?

Perhaps your car has a different code, namely:
[616]20020408BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
?

Upon checking appears that 619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION is a very standard thing.

For brackets it loos like there is MB kit (not just after-market) for repairing:

Anyone tried these?

As far as broken lens on halogen light is concerned is there a single lens covering both lights or I could replace just the lens covering Halogen? How easy is it to replace the lens?

Upon checking diagrams are you sure this is the case?

Perhaps your car has a different code, namely:
[616]20020408BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
?

Upon checking appears that 619 CORNERING ILLUMINATION is a very standard thing.
its an option, not standard

For brackets it loos like there is MB kit (not just after-market) for repairing:

Anyone tried these?

As far as broken lens on halogen light is concerned is there a single lens covering both lights or I could replace just the lens covering Halogen? How easy is it to replace the lens?
looks like the correct kit, the lens is a single lens for both sides.

so looking at your picture, looks like a preface lift xenon headlight with cornering function.

you have two options

1. buy a used one - like gold-dust with the cornering function
2. there is a headlight tab kit to repair broken tabs, available from mercedes, looks like the lens is also cracked , so probably have to replace both lenses to match, plenty of aftermarket lens's available.

Is this a Left hand drive car?

drop me a PM , I might be able to help.

Alps
Definitely looks like a facelift, it has the “grill” style indicator section on the dipped beam side.

I’d say it’s just a standard facelift xenon headlamp you need. Don’t get bogged down with the bi-xenon lingo, it’ll be bi-xenon anyway. When you activate main beam, a solenoid drops a shield inside the dipped beam “projector” housing and expands the dipped beam to main beam. You also have a halogen main beam (on these w211’s) on top of that, so you get 2 main beams in 1 essentially.

You can get new lenses on eBay, but you’ll need to remove the headlight and “bake” it in the oven for a short while to unglue the lens from headlight cluster. There’s videos on YouTube on how to do it, not too difficult, but can be messy and time consuming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom