W211 Headlight adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzMW

Car
W211 E320 Sport CDI
Hello there, I hope everyone is healthy!

As the days are short and nights long, I've finally need to do the task that I've put off for too long - adjusting the headlights. They are the HID/xenon with the intelligent light system and they do the little dance upon starting them up, but the aim is very low and makes driving at night more difficult.

On this model, can the headlight height be adjusted manually? I've tried to research it, but could not really find a concrete answer. Also, are the rear light bulbs (reverse bulbs) really soldered on!?

Hello there, I hope everyone is healthy!

As the days are short and nights long, I've finally need to do the task that I've put off for too long - adjusting the headlights. They are the HID/xenon with the intelligent light system and they do the little dance upon starting them up, but the aim is very low and makes driving at night more difficult.

On this model, can the headlight height be adjusted manually? I've tried to research it, but could not really find a concrete answer. Also, are the rear light bulbs (reverse bulbs) really soldered on!?
My 2009 E320cdi is probably the same set up , there is a sensor above the rear diff and another in the drivers side wheel well at the front , up by the spring .
The arms can rust and break causing a drop to low setting for the lights . I would check these first .
5DFACEE1-4E0F-4046-9905-B9FC5552A27F.jpg

I'll take a look tomorrow, providing it doesn't rain
If you have an icarsoft code reader it can tell if the level sensors which are attached to the arms are working .
The one above the rear diff is hard to find , I think it’s attached to the rear anti roll bar . Check the front one first because it’s easier to get to .

I don't have the icarsoft yet, looked for the arms and the front one looks fine but couldn't find the rear one

Hi
If the headlights do the dance up/down when switched on that proves the leveling system is working.
Providing the the calibration of the leveling system is ok and hasn't been disassembled at any time then just align the headlights as any normal car.
If you going to get you're local MOT garage to do it ask them to raise them till they are to high then back them down till they are just legal.
Made a massive difference on my CLS, they were MOT passable before adjusting but on the lower end of the height tolerance.

Hey,

I've read that cars with the cornering illumination and ILS can't be adjusted?

My CLS has cornering illumination and they adjusted perfectly, just make sure the wheel is in the straight ahead position, if you are worried, though I am pretty sure the cornering illumination only works over a set speed. ILS as far as I am aware was ever an option for the 211.

I went out and bought an OBD reader, the c502, which is geared towards an MB car.
Using the live data function, the level sensor shows a voltage reading, front, 2.5V, rear 3.7V. The left side has a 'Zero position adjustment: INVALID' - and if I read the codes: DTC 9044, Zero position adjustment has not yet been carried out or is not possible. DTC 9062, No CAN message was received from control unit SCM [MRM].

Worth mentioning that last year, the left headlight ballast did not work, so I ordered a new one, which got delayed in the post, so I got a hammer and beat the shit out of the old ballast and it started working lol.

Thoughts?

I went out and bought an OBD reader, the c502, which is geared towards an MB car.
Using the live data function, the level sensor shows a voltage reading, front, 2.5V, rear 3.7V. The left side has a 'Zero position adjustment: INVALID' - and if I read the codes: DTC 9044, Zero position adjustment has not yet been carried out or is not possible. DTC 9062, No CAN message was received from control unit SCM [MRM].

Worth mentioning that last year, the left headlight ballast did not work, so I ordered a new one, which got delayed in the post, so I got a hammer and beat the shit out of the old ballast and it started working lol.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you need a session on STAR to set the zero point of the self levelling system.
Probably need to get the Curve illumination function reset and calibrated as well.

Yes it does seem that is the only option isn't it
In that case I might as well replace that old ballast with the new one and then get it reset/programmed

Does a replacememt Hella ballast/control unit require reprogramming for all the functions to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom