• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W216 CL500 advice needed for front tyres - Michelins or cheap imports

ab9758

Car
CL500 (W216) ex-ML500 ML63 AMG and ML55
Very low mileage (>2000 miles - all city driving) and I've kerbed - at speed - front nearside wheel. Small rip in the rubber but no chord showing.

Currently Michelin Super Sports Tyre Size 255/40Y19.
(Rears are Michelin 285/40ZR19)

Looking at £440+ for two and wondering if I really need to keep buying the premium tyres?
Lots of conflicting reports and the Michelin Super Sports seem to have been superseded by Pilot Sport (unsure which number).
Will never realistically be driving in snow (live in Central London) and we're locked into speed limited roads all around us.
Would value advice and have committed to saving the pennies this year!

Why not go for a good mid range tyre like the Falken ZE310 tyre.

I wouldn't put a cheap budget tyre on a CL500 however many miles you cover a year. The car deserves better.

Why not change to some mid price tyres like the Falken ZIEX ZE310 Ecorun?
A good tyre considerably cheaper than the Michelins.
I wouldn't put cheap budget tyres on a CL500. The car deserves better.

Why not change to some mid price tyres like the Falken ZIEX ZE310 Ecorun?
A good tyre considerably cheaper than the Michelins.
I wouldn't put cheap budget tyres on a CL500. The car deserves better.
Yep,
Doesn't have to be "premium". Hankook, Falken and Nexen all do decent mid range tyres these days.
Hankook and Falken are even OE for MB, BMW, Audi and VW.

Premium or mid-range are fine.

Personally I’d only ever go premium because the c216 is two tonnes of motor and £100 saved seems like a strange safety economy given that you’re paying a fortune to tax and insure the thing.

You might not be doing 100mph on those tyres but they’re still quietly sat there supporting two tonnes of you and your family as you move about.

If you must save cash this year, why not consider a barely used pair of premium tyres?

Hi ,

I hit a pothole a couple of weeks ago , rear tyre wrecked.

Went down to my tyre man to have a new rear tyre installed , Goodyear Assi 5 255/3/19 are not available.

Had no option to purchase a cheap tyre as other premium tyres again not available part from Conti but did not want one of those.

I really drove the car with a considerable amount of caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom