• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W218 facelift (2016 model) grille trim bar removal

scopek

Car
2016 W218 CLS 350D
Hi..... I'm new to this so please bear with me! Some help and advice would be much appreciated. I have a 2016 CLS 350d with the Premium Plus package. It has the "diamond grille with the single bar trim mounting for the star (as per photo below). Behind the star (I believe) is the distronic module and above it is the forward facing camera. I want to remove the grille star and the single bar plastic moulding that extends on either side of it...... repaint the currently silver plastic parts of the trim bar in a satin black and remount it. Trouble is..... I can't see any way to remove it without having to virtually dismantle the whole front end of the car! Any help or advice really would be gratefully received. Th20220825_121923a.jpganks.

Front bumper will need to come off...

IMO it will look worse if you de-chrome a SliverBlue car :(

I'm sure someone will be able to confirm for definite, but if it's anything like the W205, then the whole bumper assembly has to come off.:(

Edit KillerHERTZ beat me to it!

Thanks everyone..... I was afraid that might be the answer. I wasn't planning on fully dechroming the bar.......just overspraying the (what appears to be) Iridium silver painted part with satin black..... the rest of the car is Diamond silver and it just looks silly having the trim bar in a different shade of silver! The two chrome strips and the star I was going to leave a chrome.

Vinyl wrap it first and if you like the look of the satin black then take the bumper off to get to the bar, if you don't like it then "unwrap" it. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom