• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

w219 / w211 AMG front right air suspension strut

h3ri

Car
CLS63 AMG W219 2008
My front right air suspension strut has blown out on my CLS63 at 55K miles. The part is unavailable in the UK or Germany and on backorder at the factory. This could take a matter of weeks or months.

My preference is a new one from Mercedes (not their refurbished ones) and not inclined on aftermarket versions/inferior products. I want to retain the ADS capability with the Sport 1/2 suspension damping settings for the strut.

I've seen used-original ones on eBay that had the part number A2113205438 and Thyssenkrup Bilstein printed above the part number with a gold AMG sticker. I called both Mercedes and Thyssenkrup Bilstein and not been able to confirm if Bilstein definitely came with the car from factory. Is Bilstein the actual original manufacturer for the Mercedes AMG version of A2113205438?

Are there any proper companies who rebuild the units with good reliability and warranty - I've ruled out Arnott/Aerosus/RMT for reliability and as in my research you'd need to buy a refurbished unit from those outfits to keep the ADS damping function and they do not rebuild the shock which has who knows how many miles on them.

Do you recommend changing both the left and right as a pair or is it fine to replace the right only - any pros and cons of either option? Any other parts I should replace/update when the front right air suspension is off getting replaced?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I want to minimise car downtime/get parts in quickly while trying to stick to the original AMG air suspension fitted to the car from factory. Appreciate your time and consideration

Is Bilstein the actual original manufacturer for the Mercedes AMG version of A2113205438?
It has AMG's, and Bilstein's, name, on it; there's a clue there...

You're overthinking this. Mercedes do not make their own struts, nor do they refurbish them themselves. Pound to a penny, Bilstein is the OE manufacturer, and refurbisher of MB-retailed refurbished, struts. Who else do you have in mind?

Arnott have a good reputation, Aerosus I personally would not choose, RMT I know nothing about (except that they are also the train drivers' union...:D).

If they are available, buy a Bilstein 'aftermarket/inferior' :rolleyes: replacement, or a refurbished (by Bilstein) strut from MB, and stop worrying. Either that, or wait until Bilstein get around to filling the back order and they are again available from MB, or buy whatever you can find, used or refurbished, as a stopgap to keep the car on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom