W220 Drivers seat belt buckle replacement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BelfastBill

Car
S CLASS 320 CDI
Hi I have a fault code S68/4 so I have to change the drivers seat belt buckle, had a look but can't get at the bolt, also is there more than one wire from the buckle to the control under the seat?
Thanks for any help.

Bill.

From what I can remember.
I dont think you have to remove the seat, though I may be wrong, its worth trying this way if you have to anyway, because if the seat has to come out you will need to do most of this anyway.
Dont disconnect the electrics to the seat, you will need the seat to move.
Slide the seat all the way back, there should be two plastic covers you need to remove to get to the bolts, remove them and remove the bolts (Star bolts from what I remember).
Now slide the seat all the way forwards, and do the same with the rear retaining bolts.
This is where it may or may not work, all depending on if you can get to the buckle past the armrest.
Lift the back of the seat upwards, I cant remember if there is a cap or a cover on the buckle nut/bolt, whatever take it off, and remove the nut/bolt.
Trace the wires that come from the buckle, they should go to a box under the seat (Left side plug?), you should be able to get to it and unplug the wires.
Swap it all over and rebuild.
You will probably need to go to a main dealer, or an indie with the right equipment to have the codes erased before the SRS light goes out.
There is a bowden cable under the front of the seat, for the restraint system, which can pop out when you move the seat, if this happens just pull on it and pop it back in again.
If you cant get to the bolt/nut on the buckle, then still lift the seat up at the back and pull any electrical cables that come out of the floor (In other words, if they go to another part of the seat, dont bother), remember to mark the cables, I think there are two with the same plug on which control the seats movement), i cant remember if there are any pnumatic lines at the rear.
After that drop the seat rear, go round the front, lift the seat up at the front.
Pull all the electric plugs, the same as the rear.
The pnumatic lines will come out using a 7mm open end spannerslide it in and lift the locking collar.
Pull back on the outer of the bowden cable, and slide it out, then slide the nipple out.
Check to see if you have got everything that needs to be removed.
Now for the hard part.
These seats are heavy, and they are awkward to get out, good luck with that one.

Before you do any of this though.....

Have you tried spraying some switch cleaner into the buckle, and clicking in and out the tongue several times (Not your tongue, people will talk)?
Repeat spraying several times.
Its known that a lot of crap get into the buckle slots, and can stop the sensors from working, cleaning them this way is an easy fix that saves a lot of work.

Cheers Steve. Got the seat belt buckle sorted, but now the SRS light still won't go out. Dash saying no malfunction but the illuminated SRS letters are staying lit.

is it a fault with the airbag?

Hi Greenmanslk, no airbag fault codes have ever come up, only the codes mentioned before. Buy even when they were cleared and No malfunction message came up the SRS light was still illuminated.After turning the car of and on a few times the presave inactive message came back up, go to workshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom