Weak screen jet wash on the front screen on my Mercedes C220 d sport 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeoffS1952

Car
C220 d sport estate
Hello

I bought the Mercedes C220 d sport 2016. in September 2020. I have noticed the front screen wash has been getting lower and lower.
I have topped up with screen wash and water. and still its just hitting the bottom of the screen. I have never had this trouble with any other cars.
including BMW 5 series. There is no Haynes workshop to refer to. I am disappointed that a car being 4 years old has this problem.
Anyone one any idea what I can do ? Where I can find instructions what to do ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Check the filter in the washer bottle they have been known to clog up especially if it has been used with plain water

Where is this filter situated ? Is it easy to get at ?
In the washer bottle, I don't know specifically in your car but on others usually it is around the pump so involves taking the pump out of the bottle with the filter and cleaning it out. You should be able to see the filter through the top of the bottle to see if that is your problem.
Hope you get it sorted.

In the washer bottle, I don't know specifically in your car but on others usually it is around the pump so involves taking the pump out of the bottle with the filter and cleaning it out. You should be able to see the filter through the top of the bottle to see if that is your problem.
Hope you get it sorted.
Hi, the filter is the actual rubber grommet that the pump pushes in to at the bottom of the washer bottle. They have a habit of forming a jelly like substance around the slotted fins at the end. I think the washer bottle is on the passenger side front of the wheel arch behind the trim. Pull out the pump then pull out the grommet and clean. Let all fluid drain out and flush to remove all traces of contamination and refit grommet and pump. Refill with screen wash and clean water.

I'll have to look into this when it's warmer ! I have to jack up that side. Where can I use my hydraulic jack on it ? Then where do I put the axle stand ?

Following on from the windscreen washer problem. Someone scrapped my car, while it was in the body shop. a mechanic looked at it and fitted a new washer pump. The problem is still there. I now assume the pipes are blocked. The old saying, Do it yourself comes to mind. Where do I start ? Can I take the pipes of the jets and blast air down them, Any ideas ?

Lift the bonnet high and look for the feed pipe drivers side of the car, after the drivers side jet there should be a short piece of pipe with a plastic plug in the end, pull the plastic plug and backflush the pipe with water or compressed air, see if that clears the probmem.

Have you tried putting a needle in the pin hole where it squirts out it may be a bit of **** stuck there.

Following on from the windscreen washer problem. Someone scrapped my car, while it was in the body shop. a mechanic looked at it and fitted a new washer pump. The problem is still there. I now assume the pipes are blocked. The old saying, Do it yourself comes to mind. Where do I start ? Can I take the pipes of the jets and blast air down them, Any ideas ?
The mechanic may have fitted a new pump but did the mechanic clean the grommet that acts as a filter and was the washer bottle rinsed out?
The pump lives low down behind the passenger front wheel lining. The washer bottle is a complex moulding and it is not possible to flush the bottle out from the top. To do the job takes about 20 minutes and does not need the front wheel to be removed or the car jacked up.
1) Turn the steering to full right lock.
2) Turn off engine
3) locate two 10mm nuts holding rear section of wheel arch lining and remove
4) locate plastic fastener with plastic plug in its centre that is near the base of the liner then using a flat blade prize the centre plug out from the fastener then pull it and the plug out using pliers
5) locate the pump at the bottom of the washer bottle, using a large screwdriver blade or something similar gently prize the pump upwards whilst pulling the pump away from the bottle. At this stage all the water in the bottle will pour out.
6) There should be a black rubber fitting at the base of the pump if not it’s still in the bottle and needs removing. If it was still in the bottle and is blocked the water will now rush out.
7) Add tap water to the bottle to wash it out
8) Carefully clean the black filter then put it onto the base of pump
9) Put the pump and the rubber filter back into the bottle and confirm it’s not leaking by adding a small amount of water to the bottle. If the pump or rubber is not correctly seated it will leak so remove and refit.
10) Test that the pump by washing the screen, it may need to run for a few seconds to fill the tubing.
11) Replace the wheel arch liner, the two nuts and the lower plastic bung. To replace the bung ensure the centre pin is pulled outwards only pushing it in fully once the bung is in place to lock the bung
12) Top up washer bottle with water and screen wash mix
13) Get a good wash as the job was a bit mucky and reflect that your 20 minutes work have saved you £125 which is way MB dealers charge for this job.

Yes to checking the filter in the bottle.
It may be worth taking the bottle out an giving it a thorough clean out. - if differing types of screen wash have been mixed in it they can react and form a bit of a sludge. If you find that, also flush out the hose lines.

You can buy washer nozzle “pricks”/ cleaners on eBay quite cheap.
the nozzles can become clogged and so performance drops off.
Or if you have a mate with an ultrasonic cleaner, they can work on nozzle heads. (Mates with motorbikes may have one for cleaning carbs.)

Further to my dribbling Windscreen jets. Anyone know why there is two green wires in the pipes between the jets ? I would think they would interfere with the flow ! I am getting a good jet flow on the rear window.

Further to my dribbling Windscreen jets. Anyone know why there is two green wires in the pipes between the jets ? I would think they would interfere with the flow ! I am getting a good jet flow on the rear window.
The jets and pipes are electrically heated hence the wiring.

Oh ! Well they were not attached to anything ! I did have a mechanic look at the system a few months and he put a new water pump in. The water is hitting the bottom of the screen but not powerful enough. I'm going to investigate around the bottle. The saying Do it yourself comes to mind. But being 69 and achy I've got lazy.

Oh ! Well they were not attached to anything ! I did have a mechanic look at the system a few months and he put a new water pump in. The water is hitting the bottom of the screen but not powerful enough. I'm going to investigate around the bottle. The saying Do it yourself comes to mind. But being 69 and achy I've got lazy.
Hi The latest on this problem. I had my car serviced yesterday and MOT'd. the garage took the washer bottle out and cleaned it out. the filter has been sorted. It pasted the MOT ! after failing on this problem. I took the car for a drive, pushed the button, Had a spurt then back to a dribble. Could this be the jets ? I'll replace them ! Anything else. The costs so far . Replacement pump £100 and work yesterday. £ 197.

Disconnect the pipes from the bottom of the jets and then try. That will determine if it is the jets or not. I had a similar problem on my CLS and traced it to low voltage at the pump. Pulled all of the fuses and relays and re-seated them (couldn't find anything that told me exactly which fuse/relay controlled washers). That sorted the issue and they work fine now.

OP , finding that the wires in the spray nozzles are not connected to anything is wrong . They are heated and must have a power supply from somewhere . On my car (10 years older than yours) the nozzles , hoses and the main washer fluid tank are heated.

Have another look . If they are struggling now they will be useless in the winter if not heated. This will not fix your current problem but will possibly stop another one popping up as the weather gets colder.

The mechanic may have fitted a new pump but did the mechanic clean the grommet that acts as a filter and was the washer bottle rinsed out?
The pump lives low down behind the passenger front wheel lining. The washer bottle is a complex moulding and it is not possible to flush the bottle out from the top. To do the job takes about 20 minutes and does not need the front wheel to be removed or the car jacked up.
1) Turn the steering to full right lock.
2) Turn off engine
3) locate two 10mm nuts holding rear section of wheel arch lining and remove
4) locate plastic fastener with plastic plug in its centre that is near the base of the liner then using a flat blade prize the centre plug out from the fastener then pull it and the plug out using pliers
5) locate the pump at the bottom of the washer bottle, using a large screwdriver blade or something similar gently prize the pump upwards whilst pulling the pump away from the bottle. At this stage all the water in the bottle will pour out.
6) There should be a black rubber fitting at the base of the pump if not it’s still in the bottle and needs removing. If it was still in the bottle and is blocked the water will now rush out.
7) Add tap water to the bottle to wash it out
8) Carefully clean the black filter then put it onto the base of pump
9) Put the pump and the rubber filter back into the bottle and confirm it’s not leaking by adding a small amount of water to the bottle. If the pump or rubber is not correctly seated it will leak so remove and refit.
10) Test that the pump by washing the screen, it may need to run for a few seconds to fill the tubing.
11) Replace the wheel arch liner, the two nuts and the lower plastic bung. To replace the bung ensure the centre pin is pulled outwards only pushing it in fully once the bung is in place to lock the bung
12) Top up washer bottle with water and screen wash mix
13) Get a good wash as the job was a bit mucky and reflect that your 20 minutes work have saved you £125 which is way MB dealers charge for this job.
TO THE MANAGEMENT:

It might be useful to have this helpful post made into a 'sticky' in the DIY section.

Thanks,

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom