What type of plastic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hello all

A bit of a weird one. Does anyone know what type of plastic this is? (The off white part).

s-l500.jpg

Would it be ABS? Im basically wanting to see if i can strengthen a similar part in my Alfa using fibreglass - but i read fibreglass cant be used with some types of plastic. The image is from an E Class but the plastic looks the same as in my Alfa. I can't find details anywhere of what type of plastic this is!

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi, My guess would be polypropylene, I’ve been told it’s widely used for this type of application in the past.

Hi, My guess would be polypropylene, I’ve been told it’s widely used for this type of application in the past.
Ah thanks - i was thinking it might be Nylon. Cheers

Depending on the age of the item, there may be a plastic standards mark which will tell you what it is. Examples here:
2020-12-27 YT FOAP part marking codes - summary 1.png

My first thought was nylon, especially with its low friction qualities.
It does seem to have that feel. I might play "safe" and use something like plastic weld combined with some glass mat. If i knacker the plastic by melting it with fibreglass polyester resin it will be a pain to put right. A new plastic part isn't expensive but to replace it will be many hours crawling under the car which i don't fancy. I could just leave it alone but where's the fun in that! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom