• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

White smoke after new turbo sprinter 313cdi 2001

joebeer

Car
2001 sprinter313cdi
Hi.

Having an issue with my 2001 sprinter 313 CDI it's on 120k miles UK model.

First problem was a lumpy idle, then about a mile later smoke from exhaust then rapid loss of power and only revving yo 2000rpm. stopped within a mile in a safe spot (was on a busy road)

Checked maf sensor first and found it very oily. Took off intercooler pipes and they had a fair bit of oil in. Drained this out and cleaned as much as I could then idled again for about a minute idle still lumpy . Loads more oil in pipes and this time a noticible drop on dipstick. Oil looked to be coming from turbo into interccoler pipes (no oil in exhaust manifold) Looked under the engine and it had also blown the bottom top hat seal on the oil return pipe from the turbo to the block and there was a small leak here.

Got recovered to a friends yard to work on it. Got a recon turbo and new oil return seal locally and fitted. Turbo was primed properly with a srynge . Changed oil and filter . Striped and cleaned all air hoses, cleaned out intercooler, cleaned maf sensor and striped and cleanef intake manifold. Removed glows and turned engine by hand to check for oil in the pistons. Then turned on the starter briefly for final check .No oil came out .

All looked good so reassembled . Fired up and still idleing lumpy .ran for couple of minutes. Then turned off and topped up oil. Still lumpy. Ran again then tried slight rev. Lot of vibration and some smoke .

Switched off and took off intercooler hose .no oil this time but lots of white smoke. Any ideas??? Not going to run it till I know more .there is also some white smoke when u remove oil filler cap after engine has stopped.

Done a bit more investigation. Took turbo feed pipe from the air filter off and noticed a small amount of fresh oil in the bottom of the pipe. Took the oil breather pipe Off the oil separator and idled for few seconds and I'm getting a fine mist of fresh oil plus a fair amount of smoke and pressure from the engine.

Looks like the oil separator was the original problem and this was feeding the turbo oil causing it to fail and dump more oil into the system.

Now turbo is replaced what is the likely cause of the smoke and rough running? What other dammage can this do to an engine?

Have a similar problem with white smoke after idle for a period and yet to find a solution as been through everything and can't find a fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom