Why is the UK sky packed with light aircraft?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SW18

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model Y (Formerly S212 E500)
Random question, but there are a few pilots on the forum, so I thought I would ask here. The air seems filled with light aircraft today: I have even seen two single-engine planes fly over me in fairly central London, which is very rare (and I thought not permitted for singles).

When I look on FlightRadar there are hundreds of light aircraft up today, way more than usual (I enjoy seeing what's up there from time to time). E.g. a dozen over West Kent, another dozen over South Essex, 20 on the Sussex coast...

What's going on and why today?fred.png

Last edited:
Clear skies, great visiblity, great weather, lack of commerial airliners, people unable to travel so taking advantage of their hobbies.
Yes, indeed - I was just wondering why today and not any other day - yesterday the sky was much quieter.

It was the first day that GA flying was allowed, so there were, and are , lots of pilots taking their aircraft for a jolly. It is not until April 12th that student pilots can fly again, and probably you may see lots of aircraft then.

I have even seen two single-engine planes fly over me in fairly central London, which is very rare (and I thought not permitted for singles).

IIRC it's a bit of a grey area - the Hawks of the Red Arrows and the Spitfire & Hurricane of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight are all single-engined, and they're certainly allowed to do flypasts over Buckingham Palace etc. ;)

I think there used to be a rule about being able to land without 'undue hazard' (or similar wording) ... which many took as meaning being able to ditch in the Thames if necessary. I don't know if that's current though.

Solo and family flying was banned until the 28th

It started up yesterday, March 29th.

"Probably" just people getting their hand in again, after the lockdown, and giving the plane a Spring trip.

It was the first day that GA flying was allowed, so there were, and are , lots of pilots taking their aircraft for a jolly. It is not until April 12th that student pilots can fly again, and probably you may see lots of aircraft then.

IIRC it's a bit of a grey area - the Hawks of the Red Arrows and the Spitfire & Hurricane of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight are all single-engined, and they're certainly allowed to do flypasts over Buckingham Palace etc. ;)

I think there used to be a rule about being able to land without 'undue hazard' (or similar wording) ... which many took as meaning being able to ditch in the Thames if necessary. I don't know if that's current though.

Solo and family flying was banned until the 28th

It started up yesterday, March 29th.

"Probably" just people getting their hand in again, after the lockdown, and giving the plane a Spring trip.
Thanks, all - that explains it!

And the point about the landing without undue hazard makes sense, if indeed a little grey in the interpretation. I guess large fast planes could use the Thames and small light ones probably most parks and playing fields at a push.

Last week we had two ww2 Dakota's with original paintwork and markings fly over our house, were they bombers? I was surprised at how slow low and ñoisy they were, wouldn't have took much to have shot them down I thought, both with twin engine props. A neighbour told me what they were. Today we too saw lots of light aircraft overhead while at home.

Last week we had two ww2 Dakota's with original paintwork and markings fly over our house, were they bombers? I was surprised at how slow low and ñoisy they were, wouldn't have took much to have shot them down I thought, both with twin engine props. A neighbour told me what they were. Today we too saw lots of light aircraft overhead while at home.
What a nice sight - and sound with all 28 cylinders firing per plane.

They were transport planes rather than bombers, and at 86 years old this year, are the only pre-war plane design still in active commercial service. E.g.:

Douglas DC3

Others may know better, but, 12hrs a year are required, to maintain your ppl.
Type of flying, your club and aircraft type could well introduce variables.

I would suggest that, following the enforced layoff, there are a lot of ppl holders, needing to get their 'compulsory' hours in.

What a nice sight - and sound with all 28 cylinders firing per plane.

They were transport planes rather than bombers, and at 86 years old this year, are the only pre-war plane design still in active commercial service. E.g.:

Douglas DC3

Yes, originally designed as a commercial venture, the conversion to warhorse ensured their place in history.

Note
The BBMF have one, primarily used to train pilots on multi engined rear wheel aircraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom