• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wipers failed on 300 SL

JimH29

Car
300 SL 1991
Switching on side lights on the go seemed to cause a flash of all dashboard lights and the wipers subsequently would not switch on. Fuse seems ok but all functions controlled by the relay are inop. Manual seems to indicate ter. 82. What is this and where is it?
Thanks.

Thank you Wtfh. On further investigation when I try the wiper lever there is noise from the wiper area which reflects the sounds you would expect from a working wiper system, though no actual wiper movement or washers or headlight flashing. Does this I focus thought re. repair process ? Anybody ?
Thank you.

Thank you Wtfh. On further investigation when I try the wiper lever there is noise from the wiper area which reflects the sounds you would expect from a working wiper system, though no actual wiper movement or washers or headlight flashing. Does this I focus thought re. repair process ? Anybody ?
Thank you.
If you're getting the noise of the wiper motor running but no wiping action, that suggests a mechanical rather than electrical issue (gearbox or linkages), but doesn't answer your lack of washers.

and no headlamp flasher.. the indicator stalk could be worn.
Could have a few separate problems then.. is the battery good.. are the fuses making a good contact across the terminal coz these old style torpedo type fuses can test okay but not conduct very well..

I just bought a new ( used ) stalk for my W124 due to erratic wiper function .

OP , is your car a R107 or R129 ?

If you have the single ‘panoramic’ wiper ( which would make your car a R129 ) then there is a lot of gearing at the base of the wiper for the ‘jumping’ action and this really needs cleaned out and regreased every few years ; if it has seized then one of the ball and socket joints in the linkage from the motor can jump off - hence the noise of the motor running .

If you have the earlier R107 from the 1970s/80s ( as seen in the Dallas TV series ) with the two wipers which traverse the screen at different rates , there is some gearing and a linkage there too which can need lubrication and again ball/socket joints which can pop out , especially if plastic bushes have worn or even broken .

Thank you all. Will concentrate on new indicator stock and gearing maintenance of my R129. Also will firstly clean the fuse socket terminals but earlier changed the fuse just in case. Will update when results have been achieved but glad to receive other help.

Thank you all. Will concentrate on new indicator stock and gearing maintenance of my R129. Also will firstly clean the fuse socket terminals but earlier changed the fuse just in case. Will update when results have been achieved but glad to receive other help.
:ttiuwp

Possibly the combo switch which can fail that way. If the wipers run on full power but not at any other speed, then it's the relay.

Possibly the combo switch which can fail that way. If the wipers run on full power but not at any other speed, then it's the relay.
Yep , I bought , but haven't yet fitted , a new stalk for my W124 as the wiper function had become erratic ; sometimes coming on by itself , sometimes stopping mid sweep ( I did replace the fuse with a new one and cleaned the terminals ) ; usually just turning the wipers off and on again sorted it ; I'm pretty sure it is the stalk , just haven't got round to replacing it yet .

Yep , I bought , but haven't yet fitted , a new stalk for my W124 as the wiper function had become erratic ; sometimes coming on by itself , sometimes stopping mid sweep ( I did replace the fuse with a new one and cleaned the terminals ) ; usually just turning the wipers off and on again sorted it ; I'm pretty sure it is the stalk , just haven't got round to replacing it yet .

Depending on where you got it from, I suggest that you fit it soon. Some non OE stalks have failure points. The URO that I have ran across tend to never work correctly and many seem to lose their flicked beams, also the low bean switch functions fine.

Depending on where you got it from, I suggest that you fit it soon. Some non OE stalks have failure points. The URO that I have ran across tend to never work correctly and many seem to lose their flicked beams, also the low bean switch functions fine.
Mine is a genuine used one which shows very little signs of wear , I just got lucky as it looks and feels brand new , clicking nicely between all positions and no visible wear on the surfaces , unlike the sloppy thing currently in my car . It is a genuine MB one with all the right stickers on it . I have a list of jobs to do during my summer holidays .

After a long trail I found a proper auto electrician, Stuart, who fired my problems with wipers etc. but doesn’t trust the motors. I need a wiper motor and a washer pump for a 1991 300 SL. Stuart thinks the wiper motor of a 190 would be similar.
Any suggestions for sourcing these ? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom