1983 280 SL Advice for a Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Decided not to proceed.

Correct decision imho. At £14.500 is overpriced for engine type and condition.
280's might be (allegedly) strong but they're also greedy and difficult to work on. And did I mention underpowered? Probably the main reason my car is now diesel ;):D

My recommendation would be to seek out a 300 which is the much better engine/box/running gear combination although the rust issues should still be your prime concern.

Very sensible. There are far too many cars being put up for sale in only so so condition for a lot of money. However well built a 33 year old car is always going to be in need of a lot of work and I think you should be praised for your caution.

Thanks Druk and Charles - your advice was very helpful.

I must say. though, that even this average-condition, relatively under-powered example rather whetted my SL appetite. It's a very different drive to my other cars (a mad TVR 450 SEAC and a 'purposeful' Porsche 911 C4S) and I can see the appeal.

Harry conveys the charms very well in his recent 350SL video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIeTa-9oLtQ

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for a better example...

107's are great cars. They look fantastic, are very simple to work on and easy to drive daily. Like any other vintage Mercedes when compared to the old car I own, I don't have to worry about stopping distance, over heating , watching all the gauges and checking the oil every 10 minutes. They just work and work pretty well on today's roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom