2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another update
Have now been passed to MB Maidstone that's where I bought the car , So lost a month with Dartford but on the positive Mercedes Maidstone is where I have been today said MB Germany are aware of this problem with fire opal red and have owned up there is a problem with this red

Maidstone have agreed when they get the ok from Germany to strip the whole car completely take it back to bare metal then prime, paint, and lacquer they said they have already done 2 cars with this problem

Probably won't be this side of Christmas but what the Eck it's under warranty

Last edited:
Car is booked for the 2nd of January to be inspected and a claim put to Mercedes. Not holding my breath so we'll see what happens.

Add another suspected case to this - Fire Opal Red - Just had the roof rubbers replaced on our SLK before warranty runs out end of December, and noticed this on mine when it came back tonight :(

Off to see the dealer tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

Well took the car into my local dealer - MB Chichester (Ridgeway Group) and once again my problems were dealt with in an efficient and courteous manner - previous visit just a few weeks ago with leaking SLK roof joint.

The Service Manager (Shaun) came out and had a look at the car and agreed that there was a problem, but would need time to look at the car and I also needed the log book for MB approval.

So, 1 hour later with required documentation in hand the car went into the bay to be inspected and photographed - Result being; they say problem on all body panels and claim being sent to MB, and sounds like a 2 week refit for total re-spray coming up (hopefully MB agrees) :thumb::doh:

Will keep all advised!

Just thought I would add my experience. Though I'm in no position to follow this up any further as the car is to be traded in, I thought it worth adding the issue as conformation of the problem.
My car is a 2008 red c-class sport, the laquer has peeled off the front bumper. This laquer could be rubbed off using a finger nail. This has now been re painted at my own cost as the car has been serviced out of the dealer network ( I did make a call to Merc and it was quite apparent that they didn't want to follow up my complaint)
The roof and boot lid both show signs of the raised pin head reaction. I'm almost certain this is original paint as it's a 34,000 mile car and the previous owner was known and confirmed it's originality.
As I say Merc are now taking the car in part ex and as the issue is slight they have not knocked the value now the bumper is sorted but there is definitely an issue with the bright red paint

I just purchased a one of the Fire Opal Red Coupe this June. Got it from a MB dealership and was only 6 months old at the time. Coming to its 1 year anniversary and I don't see this problem. But was wondering if you guys think I should talk to MB about this and get it checked, do you think they would do this?

There is no way these cars have ever left the factory with these paint defects, they will have been damaged in transit and repaired without the dealers or owners knowledge. As we speak the guy that is coming to me to do some cosmetics next week is currently smart repairing new vehicles in the holding compound just North of Doncaster

flango said:
There is no way these cars have ever left the factory with these paint defects, they will have been damaged in transit and repaired without the dealers or owners knowledge. As we speak the guy that is coming to me to do some cosmetics next week is currently smart repairing new vehicles in the holding compound just North of Doncaster

That seems a bit naughty. My brother does dent repairs for dealers as they aren't supposed to paint panels on new cars and yet it appears the shipping company/manufacturer are doing it in the holding pens!

As I pointed out in this post http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/2010991-post55.html
its possible this problem is related to UV damage. If this type of problem was simply down to shipping damage that has been covered up [ and don't get me wrong it happens] you would expect it to evenly distributed over the entire vehicle range of colours-- but its not! It appears to mainly effect red cars!! I suggest there's a clue there.;)

There is no way these cars have ever left the factory with these paint defects
Sorry Ian, but it's not possible to say that categorically.

I know of a major car manufacturer not far from where I live who has produced cars that developed paint defects over time that have absolutely not been subject to repair. It affected just one colour, and I know who the paint manufacturer involved was too, but will name neither them nor the car manufacturer on a public forum.

I know of a major car manufacturer not far from where I live who has produced cars that developed paint defects over time that have absolutely not been subject to repair. It affected just one colour, and I know who the paint manufacturer involved was too, but will name neither them nor the car manufacturer on a public forum.

I have found treads in the uk and the states that show an identical issue to mine "ALL" have been in red.
My front bumper was repaired last week and the body shop that carried out the work assured me that it was the original paint as they had to take it back to be sure it wouldn't cause further issue
This is a fault with either the original paint or painting proses
My advice would be, if you have a car in this colour, keep the dealer servicing up as it should pay dividends if the paint starts falling off

OK categorically No, but the chances of a car getting out of the factory with a paint defect are very very slim

I'm assuming you know that its not actually MB that paints and coats the cars, its a subcontracted operation. :dk:

I'm assuming you know that its not actually MB that paints and coats the cars, its a subcontracted operation. :dk:
I didn't. I did walk through the body in white and the paint facilities in the Sindelfingen plant though.

Claim has been sent to Mercedes for mine as the car is no longer under warranty. I will know next week hopefully. I am worried now, I did a quick check and found another panel with the same issue so not just the bot lid. It is getting worse too so if Mercedes turn the claim down I will be looking at a massive expense to fix this.

I think we might need to get organised and perhaps get some information from another forums to strength our case as this is clearly a paint defect. I'll try to get some pics here so we can compare the issue between us too.

Well further to my previous posts, I had some good news today - MB are going to be re-spraying my car which is provisionally booked in for the 9th Feb (Body shop to confirm date with me) :thumb:

Result. For others reading this thread was any comment made about how widespread the problem is with this colour?

Well, all confirmed for the 9th for the car to go and get re-sprayed - when I asked how long it would be the response was "Quite a while, we have booked you a replacement car out for a month! but it may be shorter" :eek:

No information on how many they have done, but will ask the question if I get the opportunity.

Paint defects

Hi Guys
I have just registered so that I can add some more facts to this issue. I bought a S/H red 2012 C250 coupe in Oct '14 as an approved MB car, and I noticed the above referenced blisters soon after.

The dealer was sypathetic but gave me the "never heard of this before" but they would refer it to MB. Thats where it sat for 5 weeks until my toys came out of the pram and I threatened legals, suprisingly authorisation from Germany for a full respray under warranty was given the next day!

It had to be taken back to the metal, took almost a month and the end result is a paint job that Mercedes could only dream about. I visited the approved paintshop and was told it is a WELL KNOWN problem!!!! Mercedes know about it and will respray if you make enough noise or are lucky enough to have a good dealer who will make the noise for you.

There was another red car awaiting the respray in the paint shot whilst I was there, and they told me they had another one (also red) booked in! That is one authorised paint shop only. They had been told by MB Germany that the problem was predominently with red cars and it was an interaction with the primer. They also told me that it was not if it appeared but when!

I would warn owners regardless of age of car (Mercedes waranty bodywork for defects from within for 30 years remember) to NOT have any initial indications of it repaired , smart repaired or resprayed by other than an approved MB body shop or you will invalidate this warranty. And a small indication of it starting is just that, a start, it will come through in other areas and it can appear suddenly, one day fine, the next its a nightmare. Do not delay take it up with your local dealer and do not take no for an answer.

I love the car and it now looks stunning in red, I'm just glad that in the words of the paint shop I now have a Mercedes but with a Bentley paintwork!

My dealer did eventualy come clean but I now know it is a defect well known by both MB Germany, UK, and the dealers, I believe it should have been a recall issue (even if only initialy for checks), they do know about it and its bordering on deceit pretending they don't, and they will continue to say "never heard of that before"
To any else who has this, the very best of luck, go get it sorted in the knowledge that if this hit something like Watchdog on TV it could cost MB millions.
Best of Luck
Robin

Robin, as a matter of interest where are you located and what Body shop did they use???

Just hoping I might also get a Bentley paint job!! :D

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom