Best Way To Temporarily Immobilise Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd just remove the fuse or relay for a key element (e.g. fuel pump).

I installed a battery kill switch (post #5) on a couple of cars and that worked fine, but they had no alarm system. I wouldn't do it on a modern car because it will deactivate the alarm (although the sounder itself has rechargeable batteries). The battery kill switch was simply in order to prevent the battery from going flat when the car was parked up for a long time.

As for putting the kill switch on the starter motor feed (post #10)... yes it will work, but at this point I'd rather put a switch on the fuel pump feed (post #6)?

^^^ X2

Pull the relay for either starter or fuel pump or both if you like👍

No one is going to hotwire a 2002 CLK in a countryside car park. The car already has a pretty sophisticated locking system, alarm and immobiliser.

The only real risk you face is either someone forcing entry to search for stuff inside, or possibly removing items whilst parked up (eg cat theft or wheels etc), neither of these will be stopped with trying to remove items to stop it being started.

There is an electronic key that has to communicate with the ECUs in the car to enable it to allow engine start and to disengage the steering lock, unless someone physically has your key then it will be fine :)

Disconnect battery.

Well what i do is remove a one vital electric plug thats going in to the injection . With out this my car wont start .
But if the barstewards want your car , or any car ,, they pop along with a low loader and winch it on .

The only real risk you face is either someone forcing entry to search for stuff inside, or possibly removing items whilst parked up (eg cat theft or wheels etc)

Or simple vandalism.

If it had been stolen by joy riders that could have been the only time in history when the words "joy" and "Austin Maxi" were used in the same sentence!!!
Not a small car, and all seats would flatten. A fair set up for a passion wagon.

That nice girl Joy would be joy to behold in Maxi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom