Car hit when parked :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
So there I am this morning, queuing up in a well known trade outlet to buy a new plug for the basin in the bathroom (living the rock 'n' roll lifestyle that I do).

Having bought my plug, I then head off to my next stop to buy rubble sacks (r'n'r etc.). I come out of rubble sack sellers to discover a lovely 6" long scratch, complete with blue paint, down the passenger door. That definitely wasn't there the last time I looked.

Now, there was nothing parked next to me when I arrived and I was only there a few minutes, however the trade outlet's car park was rammed. So, with somewhat of a face on, I go back to the trade outlet and - aha - spot the CCTV camera outside the door.

I go in and explain that I think someone's hit my car and get to talk to the assistant manager, who was the highest-ranking person in at the time. I explain what's happened again, he comes out and has a look at the car and says he'll go and check the CCTV footage. Comes out a few minutes later, yes someone's hit it.

While I was queuing for my plug this **** comes into the car park, tries to reverse into the space next to mine at an awkward angle, hits my car, straightens up, parks and then casually goes into the shop to buy whatever. Makes no attempt to find out who's car he's hit. I come out, get in my car not seeing the damage (on the other side) and drive off unaware.

Now, CCTV didn't capture the ****'s VRN but it turns out he is known to the AM, being an occasional customer. The AM says that he can't pass on his contact details due to data protection regs, which is fair enough. However, he does say that he'll try and get in touch with the bloke and offer him the opportunity to do the right thing. I give him my contact details and go home.

A little while later, the AM rings me and says the contact number he has for the **** is dead, so there isn't much more he can do from his side. However, he'd be happy to point the finger and hand over the CCTV footage if asked by Plod. Good man.

So, off I go to the local station, which somewhat to my surprise is open on a Sunday. I explain the situation, am given a form to fill in and get given a number in return. Whether anything will come of this I've no idea (I'm certainly not holding my breath), but at least I've done what I can. Pretty certain it's an offence to damage someone's property without admission, if nothing else.

After that, I go off and get the car cleaned at my friendly local car wash. I spoke to the guys there (they like it when I bring my car in) and they got out some of their valeting stuff and cleaned all the paint off. It looks better, and I've been out and done some more work on it this afternoon. I can't get rid of the scratch though, it may be possible to do a smart repair done but I'm guessing it's still going to be a few hundred quid to sort out. I am really p!ssed off about this, why should I be out of pocket? For the money, it's not worth claiming on the insurance as it's within the realms of the excess.

Well, that's my rant over, I just needed to share with someone. Misery loves company, and bad luck - it's you.

I'm going to sit here now and hope that the perpetrator gets some sort of nasty infestation on his genitals.

Yours, in a bad mood,

Gaz

So there I am this morning, queuing up in a well known trade outlet to buy a new plug for the basin in the bathroom (living the rock 'n' roll lifestyle that I do).

Having bought my plug, I then head off to my next stop to buy rubble sacks (r'n'r etc.). I come out of rubble sack sellers to discover a lovely 6" long scratch, complete with blue paint, down the passenger door. That definitely wasn't there the last time I looked.

Now, there was nothing parked next to me when I arrived and I was only there a few minutes, however the trade outlet's car park was rammed. So, with somewhat of a face on, I go back to the trade outlet and - aha - spot the CCTV camera outside the door.

I go in and explain that I think someone's hit my car and get to talk to the assistant manager, who was the highest-ranking person in at the time. I explain what's happened again, he comes out and has a look at the car and says he'll go and check the CCTV footage. Comes out a few minutes later, yes someone's hit it.

While I was queuing for my plug this **** comes into the car park, tries to reverse into the space next to mine at an awkward angle, hits my car, straightens up, parks and then casually goes into the shop to buy whatever. Makes no attempt to find out who's car he's hit. I come out, get in my car not seeing the damage (on the other side) and drive off unaware.

Now, CCTV didn't capture the ****'s VRN but it turns out he is known to the AM, being an occasional customer. The AM says that he can't pass on his contact details due to data protection regs, which is fair enough. However, he does say that he'll try and get in touch with the bloke and offer him the opportunity to do the right thing. I give him my contact details and go home.

A little while later, the AM rings me and says the contact number he has for the **** is dead, so there isn't much more he can do from his side. However, he'd be happy to point the finger and hand over the CCTV footage if asked by Plod. Good man.

So, off I go to the local station, which somewhat to my surprise is open on a Sunday. I explain the situation, am given a form to fill in and get given a number in return. Whether anything will come of this I've no idea (I'm certainly not holding my breath), but at least I've done what I can. Pretty certain it's an offence to damage someone's property without admission, if nothing else.

After that, I go off and get the car cleaned at my friendly local car wash. I spoke to the guys there (they like it when I bring my car in) and they got out some of their valeting stuff and cleaned all the paint off. It looks better, and I've been out and done some more work on it this afternoon. I can't get rid of the scratch though, it may be possible to do a smart repair done but I'm guessing it's still going to be a few hundred quid to sort out. I am really p!ssed off about this, why should I be out of pocket? For the money, it's not worth claiming on the insurance as it's within the realms of the excess.

Well, that's my rant over, I just needed to share with someone. Misery loves company, and bad luck - it's you.

I'm going to sit here now and hope that the perpetrator gets some sort of nasty infestation on his genitals.

Yours, in a bad mood,

Gaz

Gutted :(

Is there other CCTV in the area that might have caught his plate as they left?

If he bought something with a card they may be able to trace him through the card company if they have cctv inside the shop.

Commiserations! Nothing worse than some idiot damaging your car and not doing the decent thing and owning up.

Yours, in a bad mood,

Gaz

Post some photos Of the damage?

The perp is known and identified, it's just a case of whether he will put his hand up. The fact that he knowingly hit my car and made no attempt to admit his mistake at the time suggests what type of character I am dealing with.

Unfortunately, I think think it's down to whether the police decide to prosecute or not. I hold out little hope of that happening, and as I said there's not much point claiming on my insurance as the excess will gobble up much of the cost and I'll take a hit on my no-claims bonus.

So sorry to hear this. I hate people sometimes. I would be mortified if i hit another car or scratched it, i would be writing my details on anything to hand if i knew i had caused any damage, some people have no thought for others and property.

Im normally the one to park my car in a lonely spot away from the shop to try and avoid damage but i guess my car gets lonely car syndrome and 9 times out of 10 i come back to find a car right next to mine in what is a near empty car park.

Im normally the one to park my car in a lonely spot away from the shop to try and avoid damage but i guess my car gets lonely car syndrome and 9 times out of 10 i come back to find a car right next to mine in what is a near empty car park.

So it's not just me then? :)

I rarely leave my Range Rover unattended. Yeah I know...

One thing that sprung to mind in Gaz's case is that the perpetrator may not be aware that he has damaged the car and with a little luck, he may be mortified when he sees the CCTV and willingly cough up for a proper job on the damage.

Good luck with it, Gaz. :thumb:

As I understand it, the police (if they have the resources to pursue the matter) can find out the identity of the culprit, but Gaz can't. If the police don't pursue the matter, the fellow who made the scratch will never hear any more about it. Isn't modern Data Protection legislation wonderful?

If the git didn't do anything about the damage when he caused it, the chances of him holding his hand up now, unless forced to do so, are, I fear, the square root of feck-all.

Apropos that last euphemism, in Ireland is 'feckless' a synonym for 'celibate'?

As I understand it, the police (if they have the resources to pursue the matter) can find out the identity of the culprit, but Gaz can't.
Assuming that the perp hasn't subsequently reported the matter to the Police, he has committed an offence by failing to stop and provide insurance details after causing damage to a third party's property. Whether the Police can be bothered have the resources available to follow it up will define the outcome, absent a fit of conscience on behalf of the perp.

Maybe time to invest in a dash cam as it would have recorded the incident.

Yours, in a bad mood,

Gaz
Vermin

Maybe time to invest in a dash cam as it would have recorded the incident.
How so? Normally these are wired up with ignition. Unless you have an aux bat

You can wire them in to permanent live. It's worth it - a guy at work has pursued 2 clonks to his CLS getting paid out in cash each time.

There is a chance it might not catch the number plate in a car park though but still worth it.

I have the blackvue 650 2 channel dash cam it has what’s called parking mode and will record if the vehicle is hit, the dash cam is hard wired to my car battery or you could use an aux battery.

I have the blackvue 650 2 channel dash cam it has what’s called parking mode and will record if the vehicle is hit, the dash cam is hard wired to my car battery or you could use an aux battery.
Ah ok cool. I take it must take weeks for this cam to cause your car bat to go flat?

Not sure which model, but I got young Ringway a (I think) Roadhawk dashcam for Christmas for his R32 Golf.
The camera has a facility to record for an hour after parking by pressing a button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom