Clay Mitt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

Is a Clay Mitt better than a Clay Bar?

Depends on if you're going to machine the paintwork after. MITs tend to cause a lot more marring than clay and need to be used a lot more carefully than clay. They are faster and more efficient than traditional clay though.

Easier to use than a clay bar, less likely to drop it, holds a goodly amount of lubricant, better than a bar. Never noticed any increase in marring myself.

I used a clay mitt at the weekend(farecla g3 clay mitt), using the shampoo as a lubricant.
It done a cracking job.

I've had both and prefer the mitt. - The bar might actually do a better job, but the ease of use of the mitt wins.

I'd definitely go with the Clay Mitt. I've used The Clay Cloth Company's products for a while now and cannot fault them. The Mitt is way better than the Farecla, more clay coverage and better quality. A lot safer and quicker. 100% Clay Mitt or Clay Cloth

500x375.JPG

Last edited:
Personal preference. I think you could apply much more pressure with a mitt increasing marring etc.

I used a clay mitt at the weekend(farecla g3 clay mitt), using the shampoo as a lubricant.
It done a cracking job.

I used a farecla g3 clay mitt for the first time this year, previously used clay bars. VERY impressed with the mitt. Around £15 ah Halfords. Lots of feel you really can feel it removing the contaminates and its real easy to use, just use clean soapy water and very gentle, hardly any pressure.

A bar is “better”, but mitt is faster and easier to get 90% of the same results

The mitt is so much quicker, dunk it in your bucket of car shampoo and you are good to go.

I have converted to the mitt 2 years ago.

Another one for the Mitt here. Did my Wife's Metallic Black X5 using a Mitt and wow what a difference. I felt the crud coming off as the 'snagging' stopped after one or two passes leaving a finish like glass. I was truly impressed. I used the Farcela Mitt which uses some sort of rubber compound and can be used several times.

One of the lads does a bit of valeting at the weekends and has recently moved to a clay mitt and loves it.

My concern with these is always "How do you get the crap off the mitt", otherwise you're just smooshing rubbish into the paintwork rather than removing it.

With the clay bar it's obvious, you fold it into a clean section and when it looks nasty, bin it and start again. I generally only get to clay bar once or twice a year so the cars are usually pretty grim by that point.

I really like the idea of a mitt over a clay bar as I've always found claying to be a real arduous task. I suspect the mitts make claying quicker.

That said I had a chat with Ed at Divine Detail (plenty of you know him I'm sure) about claying and he gave me a really good tip. Rather than quick detailer for lubrication, just fill half a bucket of water and shampoo. Dip a wash mitt and it hold it at the top of the panel so it literally coats it. Tonnes of lubrication and made it so much quicker.

As Doodle says, the mitt holds onto the rubbish, I wouldn't dare use one more than twice. Over the years I've used a lot of different clays, and the best is one I bought years ago at a car show for a tenner, and I use it with water, no need for fancy lubricants, I still have one of the two bars. I know the mitt is easier, but I don't fancy the risk, also clay bars come in different grades. Just a thought :)

love my mitt, makes it nice and quick to do it and less chance of me dropping it

Got a mit also, easier and quicker than a bar.first time I used it, practised on the wife's mini first..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom