Clay Mitt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Mitt for me because I actually use it.
The bar may be better but that is no good if it is sat in the packet because I can't be bothered to put that much time and effort in.

My concern with these is always "How do you get the crap off the mitt", otherwise you're just smooshing rubbish into the paintwork rather than removing it.

With the clay bar it's obvious, you fold it into a clean section and when it looks nasty, bin it and start again. I generally only get to clay bar once or twice a year so the cars are usually pretty grim by that point.

A clay mitt and clay cloth has the clay compound applied in a way that a rinse in soapy water is sufficient enough to remove contamination. Clay Cloths and Clay Mitts have Membrane Furrows which are small ridges and these break down larger contaminants into smaller pieces, thus reducing the risk of marring and also lift them away from the painted surface within the soap solution or lube you use. These are then rinsed off in warm soapy water. Totally safe and used widely in the industry

I could never get the hang of these things, always looked worse afterwards

As with a lot of things in detailing comes down to experience, skill and time available.

My view - if you never used a clay bar or mit go with the mit - its faster, easier to use, you're less likely to drop it and ultimately as a novice user may well allow you to do a better job.

My concern with these is always "How do you get the crap off the mitt", otherwise you're just smooshing rubbish into the paintwork rather than removing it.

With the clay bar it's obvious, you fold it into a clean section and when it looks nasty, bin it and start again. I generally only get to clay bar once or twice a year so the cars are usually pretty grim by that point.

Those were my thoughts. I've not used a clay bar since owning a Morgan but with the C63 imminent I'm digging out all my detailing kit. I always used Maguires detail spray, what do other folk use? :)

With a mitt just use fresh clean water with about half the quantity of Megs gold class I'd use when doing a regular wash.

They do a new clay cloth and clay mitt now and just bought one of each! Superb products

I am going to give the cloth a try, it might convert me from the mitt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom