Do we still have engine snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This guy's excellent videos take a lot of beating when it comes to basic principles of reciprocating piston engines and their balancing characteristics
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Ye Cannae change the laws of physics Captain " Montgomery Scott chief engineer NCC-1701 USS Enterprise ;)

Last edited:
One four pot that i really liked (and in hindsight should have bought) was a Vegantune twin cam that was in a Ginetta G27. It was a beauty - bored to 1700 and something, hot cams, big carbs (twin 48's), all lightened, polished and balanced and made about 170 bhp. From the late 1980's when it was built/re-built there were bills for over £10k for the engine as it was built as a Ginetta show car so they threw everything at it. It was also stuffed full of those tasty aeroquip hoses so also looked like a jewel. It sounded fantastic and in the lightweight Ginetta went like stink. My biggest regret not buying it - the car was £7.5k in around 2005. The only thing that stopped me really was that it ran on leaded and apparently the valves were too big to add hardened seats. I bought the Ducati instead but still think of that Vegantune mill....

Actually, the distance really isn't an issue, even in this cold weather. We've all got ICEs :cool:
Actually, I was in London yesterday and chose to take the Macan as far as Stevenage, then rails from there. I was reminded on the home leg what a cracking car it is.
The only issue was that various drivers had failed to heed the warnings of ICE and apparently had little grasp of Newtonian physics.
My route was blocked by a major kerfuffle in minus 3 degree conditions just two miles from home....

This guy's excellent videos take a lot of beating when it comes to basic principles of reciprocating piston engines and their balancing characteristics

"Ye Cannae change the laws of physics Captain " Montgomery Scott chief engineer NCC-1701 USS Enterprise ;)

This guy is really interesting, thanks. I listened to his initial one on balance then the I4 and V8 (cross plane) ones.

Happy to hear that (unlike a 4 pot) my cross plane V8 has perfect primary and secondary balance. It also has a lower CoG compared to the I4 and, more importantly, can pack a load more capacity in the same space (obvs).

Downsides? Heavier crank (cos of counterweights), more complexity/moving parts/inertia/friction. I'll take that.

TL;DR smooth as ****, fast as ****, a bit juicy.

Personally, I prefer the sound of the bigger engines. The way they deliver power and the torque they produce. I have never bought a car and think, I wonder what people will say to me now that I've bought a car with such a big engine! Most people don't care. I for sure don't care what size engine people choose to go for.

People will always judge. Some judge others by saying, it's so stupid to have a car with such a big engine [V6, V8, V10, or V12 ] What's the point in that? It's not as if you can use all that power! You also have those people that think, well why buy such a nice looking car but it's just show and no go! You can't win

I love cars and I will buy what ''I'' like [ within my means of course!]. If I meet some stranger at a petrol station that also appreciates the car I drive, great. It's always nice to get a compliment BUT, if I don't get a compliment from a stranger......... still great! I bought the car for myself and not others.

Saying all this, it would be naive to think that there are no people out there that are snobs. Hopefully we don't have them here as we all just share the same passion [ love for cars ] 😊
Absolutely agree. 🙂👍

Ok, have to admit to being a car snob. Not intentionally, but subconsciously when sitting in traffic, I do think that this is a nice place to be in. Probably started in my youth when I stuck a LOTUS badge on my dad's Vanden Plas Princess. I can still hear him erupting when he spotted it:mad::dk::doh:

Thing is though, I don't inflict what I do like on them.
Again fair enough, but there not actually hurting anyone, annoying you perhaps, and probably others. Doesn't bother me, in fact I smile to meself when I hear one, although that's not very often these days to be fair. 🙂

Again fair enough, but there not actually hurting anyone, annoying you perhaps, and probably others. Doesn't bother me, in fact I smile to meself when I hear one, although that's not very often these days to be fair. 🙂
Depriving someone of sleep (including those who work nightshifts) is hurting someone. Not being able to function properly due to lack of sleep goes well beyond mere annoyance.

There that bad where you live, they keep you awake during the day, can't argue with that. Apologies. 🙂
Not me during the day (night though) but I have worked nights in the past and had to sleep during the day. It was a pretty mundane job - nothing like as significant as say, a nurse or doctor...

Hi , I owned a Mercedes C207E400 that was powered by the 3.5 litre V6 M276 petrol engine.

Very occasionally I would take the car the Italian tune up shop not far from where I live.

Superb engine and the sound at full chat was exciting ( V8 are a different sound )

My new car is a four door petrol salon powered by a small turbo charged engine with a sublime gear box.I loved both my Mercedes but not for me anymore.

The Mercedes-Benz engine V6 engine against my new 4 pot engine the V6 wins hand down.

Hi , I owned a Mercedes C207E400 that was powered by the 3.5 litre V6 M276 petrol engine.

Very occasionally I would take the car the Italian tune up shop not far from where I live.

Superb engine and the sound at full chat was exciting ( V8 are a different sound )
I test drove an E350 (V6 Petrol) when I was looking for my current car and I absolutely loved the sound it made - quite different from a V8 as you say.

Last edited:
I think when it comes to diesels whether it be a 4 or 6 cylinder on the whole they sound pretty much the same. Cruising at 70-80 on the motorway, it doesn’t really matter if you have an E220 or E350, neither sound particularly v8 like and both have an agricultural sound to them that all diesels have. Having driven the E350, noise wise and power delivery, it didn’t particularly impress me, hence why the E250 more than fits the bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom