Does staggered fit set-up affect handling????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, so can you explain to me why my mpg has not changed between 16" and 18" wheels on the same journey that I do every weekend and why fuel guage levels off at the same point after each journey ?

No, sorry I can't explain that :confused: :cool:

Bobby Dazzler. Thanks for getting the dig at me on my new wheels being big and cheap. I will remember that.

Cast,...so you reckon originals are turned down on a lathe ?

Apologies if you think I was suggesting your wheels were big and cheap, that was absolutely not my intention. There's nobody cheaper than me!! :D

I was simply commenting that cheaper wheels tend to be heavier, which coupled with a larger rim size of course can make it heavier still.

Apologies once more.

Apologies if you think I was suggesting your wheels were big and cheap, that was absolutely not my intention. There's nobody cheaper than me!! :D

I was simply commenting that cheaper wheels tend to be heavier, which coupled with a larger rim size of course can make it heavier still.

Apologies once more.
Bobby, No apology required. Treat it as a joke. I for one have learned not to take the comments on the forum as serious and in future will take all negative opinions in a jokingly manner. (after my previous encounters)

I will admit my wheels were cheaper than OEM, but I am certain that the difference in MPG between wheel size weight is negligble.

Beleive me, I use the same anount of fuel on my weekly commute as before, only difference is the cost !

Oh, so my no difference in fuel consuption must be my imagination then.

Hi

I cant explain why you have had no difference in your economy and am not going to start speculating as to why.

I am only going on my experience. Your experience is different from mine, hey thats fine.

I am only trying to give the poster heads up, and your doing the same.

Best of luck to you.

Hi

I cant explain why you have had no difference in your economy and am not going to start speculating as to why.

I am only going on my experience. Your experience is different from mine, hey thats fine.

Best of luck to you.

You too. Could it be related to tyre pressure as previously suggested. I am no tyre expert though.

Hi

Best of luck to you.

I cant explain either, but to be honest, I see no difference at all in fuel consumption. Maybe it could be down to motorway miles I am doing compared to others who have had urban driving experience, which I very rarely enconter ?

I cant explain either, but to be honest, I see no difference at all in fuel consumption. Maybe it could be down to motorway miles I am doing compared to others who have had urban driving experience, which I very rarely enconter ?

The travelling I compared on was motorway travel (Yorkshire-London) and I did experience the drop in MPG. Honestly, I was considering putting the old wheels back on before I sold them, but luckily enough the tinkering sorted it out…

If you notice a difference in fuel economy from changing to 18s then I think thats a little sad. Just my opinion but come on whats a few mpg in the grand scheme of things?

I personally can't say I've noticed any difference but they I've never sat down with a calculator to work out my MPG, I thought about, then decided to carry on living my life!

Heres a couple of pics for you:

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

LOL. He's a modder...don't look at the car, look at his wife/girlfriend....
Head in hands "what am I doing with a man who photographs wheels on old airstrips"

We've all be there, we've all been on the receiving end of that look!!

Last edited:
Still reckon it needs to drop a bit at the back :)

Looking forward to seeing it in the metal soon :D

LOL. He's a modder...don't look at the car, look at his wife/girlfriend....
Head in hands "what am I doing with a man who photographs wheels on old airstrips"

We've all be there, we've all been on the receiving end of that look!!

:D :D Haha that is hilarious me and the mrs just had a right chuckle reading that!!

Back on topic.
Larger wheels are meant to increase rolling resistance due to the sidewall having less flex so not allowing the tyre tread to deform as readily thus creating more heat within the tyre. Heat is energy so is lost motion.

I don't know whether this is going to happen in all cases but is the theory behind increased consumption on larger wheel sizes.

It's also why lower profile tyres cause a greater tramlining effect.

Back on topic.
Larger wheels are meant to increase rolling resistance due to the sidewall having less flex so not allowing the tyre tread to deform as readily thus creating more heat within the tyre. Heat is energy so is lost motion.

I don't know whether this is going to happen in all cases but is the theory behind increased consumption on larger wheel sizes.

It's also why lower profile tyres cause a greater tramlining effect.

Erm,, Creating more heat will increase the inflation pressure and so reduce the amount of flex?

Tramlining will be related to the contact patch and perhaps more importantly the tread depth.

Consumption will be realated to frontal area and drag plus the rolling resistance.. Complicated.....

Drove home 250 miles tonight. No difference once again on the 18s. Average MPG this time was slightly better than ussual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom