Double glazing problem - has anyone ever seen this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
Double glazed tinted windows delaminating

The tint on the double glazed windows of my CL500 is delaminating at the edges. Has anyone come across this and is there an easier fix than replacing the windows?

I have the same thing on my rear screen, the bottom edge is delaminating and I've got white spots all along the edge of the glass.
I've tried getting a hair dryer in there as it looks like condensation is causing the white spots between the seperating sheets of glass but with no luck. This also seams to be affecting the rear screen demisting elements as well, the top of the screen demists quickly but the bottom half takes ages.

It looks like replacement glass is the only answer in my case. It's a flaming expensive job to do the back screen so it'll have to wait a while.....(unless I can think of a plausible accident scenario that would cause the rear screen to break and do it on the insurance......anyone any ideas??) --- I'm joking really;)

sportyreptile said:
I have the same thing on my rear screen, the bottom edge is delaminating and I've got white spots all along the edge of the glass.
I've tried getting a hair dryer in there as it looks like condensation is causing the white spots between the seperating sheets of glass but with no luck. This also seams to be affecting the rear screen demisting elements as well, the top of the screen demists quickly but the bottom half takes ages.

It looks like replacement glass is the only answer in my case. It's a flaming expensive job to do the back screen so it'll have to wait a while.....(unless I can think of a plausible accident scenario that would cause the rear screen to break and do it on the insurance......anyone any ideas??) --- I'm joking really;)

I had the same problem with my W126 560 SEC and i had a terrible accident ;) so i had to have the rear screen replaced, my insurance Co where only to delighted to replace it.

Hmm, my insurance premiums have already gone up because of a minor accident in my Aston Martin costing the insurance company £15k, I doubt they'd stand for any more without raising my premiums by the amount the new windows would cost me!

sounds just like domestic double glazing.

The double glazed units just fail. Causing condinsation between the pains.

Ah yes, as any SLC owner would be only too familiar with. Not a good idea, double glazed units on cars.

This might be very "Heath Robbo" but, a cheapo fix for the domestic scenario is to drill a very fine hole/s, 1.0mm to maybe 1.5mm, top and bottom through the inner pane somewhere not very obvious and out of sight'ish to allow the moisture to escape etc.

Mmmm, not very much in keeping with the marque I know but.....???

Portzy.

Double glazing

:eek: Just had the same problem with my CL55. Im guessing your car is out of warranty!?!? If it is, the Front windows retail at £470 each and take 2.4 hours to replace each one!! Prices arent much cheaper by using a windscreen company either as i have already checked. Pilkington are the glass makers but i dont think you can buy direct form them!?!? For info the Rear windows arent much cheaper either.

My car was a few months out of warranty and MB would only contribute 50% of the parts and labour (goodwill gesture) which basically meant that it would have cost me personally in the region of £360 per window. Therefore i only had the worst (drivers front) window replaced.

In addition, the MB extended warranty i took out doesnt cover "glass"

I've discussed in another thread MB agreeing to repair some rust to the bottom of the doors and wheel arches on my W215. MB have agreed to repair these under Mobilio-life, which is good news.

At the same time I asked them to look at the side widows, all of which are showing some strange kind of ungluing or delaminatin as mentioned above, as shown on the attached photograph. Has anyone ever come across this before and, more importantly, ever had it repaired under warranty?

clwindows.jpg

Mercedes have declined to repair this, putting it down to the age of the car. As I've never seen it before and as MB themselves admitted they never have, I'm inclined to think it is some kind of manufacturing defect and am loathe to spend money on new windows (which I'm sure won't be cheap) only to see the same thing happen again.

Last edited:
Looks like delamination. Suprised MB say they've never seen anything like it, try Googling "delamination" and "Mercedes" or here

That was me that started that thread! I'd forgotten about it.

I noticed someone mentioned it happening to them but their car being 'just out of warranty'. Under Mobilo-life this should be covered, shouldn't it?

Not sure what you mean by 'out of warranty'. Isn't this covered by Mobilo-life?

threads merged.

amwebby said:
Not sure what you mean by 'out of warranty'. Isn't this covered by Mobilo-life?
Hi armwebby,
I don't think you understand what Mobilio covers, or I don't because I have never seen any reference to glass being replaced?

Congratulations on getting the bodywork repaired, who cares whether it is a mobilio claim or goodwill. The nitty gritty is its getting repaired.

Well done,
John

glojo said:
Hi armwebby,
I don't think you understand what Mobilio covers, or I don't because I have never seen any reference to glass being replaced?

Congratulations on getting the bodywork repaired, who cares whether it is a mobilio claim or goodwill. The nitty gritty is its getting repaired.

Well done,
John

Im sure it doesnt cover glass , read your T&C of the mobilo life.

Can't you get it replaced under the glass cover of your insurance policy?

Mobilo-life covers Perforated bodywork and mechanical breakdowns, so I guess glass is excluded. I was hoping MB might provide a goodwill replacement as it is, in my opinion, a manufacturing defect.

I'll see what is covers under my insurance policy but would wager that only covers cracked, chipped or broken glass.

Would it be less noticeable if the glass was tinted?

Maybe worth speaking to someone like trading standards too if you draw blanks with MB and or supplying dealer (s) - as it's reasonable to expect side glass to last the life of the car - well, more than 6 years anyway!!

amwebby said:
I was hoping MB might provide a goodwill replacement as it is, in my opinion, a manufacturing defect.

I don't know what you do for a living but suspect it must be stand up comedy..:rolleyes:

Perhaps, I do find that persistence pays dividends. I shall stick to my line that this should not happen in a car of this quality. After all, if you're going to install double glazing in your house you expect it to last a bit longer than 6 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom