Electric headrest problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidparcher

Car
03 CLK 320 silver Avantgarde with Satnav and Bose. Plus L200 Mitsubishi Warrior pickup truck.
The drivers side electric headrest isn't working, although everything else in the electric memory position works fine and adjusts automatically in memory, for both driver and passenger position.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's in the 03 CLK 320.

The drivers side electric headrest isn't working, although everything else in the electric memory position works fine and adjusts automatically in memory, for both driver and passenger position.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's in the 03 CLK 320.

Take it to the dealer. I had the headrests imploded, saw the dealer took more than an hour struggling to find the right pin to reset its. :D

Take it to the dealer. I had the headrests imploded, saw the dealer took more than an hour struggling to find the right pin to reset its. :D

Going in on Monday for this and another couple of "niggles"!!

Going in on Monday for this and another couple of "niggles"!!

Just got it back from Stratstones and apparently at some time it must have had a flat battery, which means it can lose one or more of the memory programmes. After "normalising" the motor in the headrest, it now works perfectly again.

We have the same problem. With ours we took it back to the supplying independant dealer - he tried it and the headrest moved! When we got the car back, the next time the seat was tipped forward to let someone in the back, the headrest automatically retracted and now it refuses to move again...

Anyone know what this 'normalising' consists of?

We have the same problem. With ours we took it back to the supplying independant dealer - he tried it and the headrest moved! When we got the car back, the next time the seat was tipped forward to let someone in the back, the headrest automatically retracted and now it refuses to move again...

Anyone know what this 'normalising' consists of?

All I know is it's like "rebooting" but it was necessary because when there had been a flat battery, it had lost the ability to respond to the electric memory. Not sure if yours sounds like the same problem but I'm going to try tipping our seats forward and seeing if that gives us a problem.

for 10 months (since i bought it) i could not move the LHS headrest on my r129 and last week I took the car to the garage to have a SRS issue sorted out and since that visit the LHS headrest is working again. (previously i could hear the electric engine try to move the HR but kind of locking up), not sure how it got fixed but somehow but having the SRS error reset it is working again

Tried the 'normalising' procedure recommended in another post on here (moving seat back 5secs / forward 5secs). Nothing seemed to change. Then after trying the headrest a few times it motored upwards. Only trouble is, it wouldn't come down again - and also didn't retract when the seat was tipped forward! The garage is investigating today, hopefully...

I picked up my new (to me) CLK today and this has the exact same problem.
Made worse by the fact that I am quite tall and when the seat was lifted it jammed against the sunvisor. Strangely the headrest did move down slightly but not far enough and the switch will not move it although I can hear a relay clicking.

Did you get the problem resolved? I would be interested in the solution.

This is my first Merc so have yet to experience the joys of giving money to the dealers.

Cheers...

(must sort out my profile)

This turned out to need a new headrest motor. MB Tonbridge diagnosed and repaired it quickly - about £140 invluding VAT.

My new (to me) 05 CLK has the same problems.

First time I lifted the seat it jammed on the sunvisor. Confused the hell out of me as I thought the seat was stuck
If the headrest gets to its upper limit it sticks so my solution is to lift the seat so that it starts moving down and then turn the key off.
Put the seat back down, jump in and turn the key back on.
Quickly press the M and program the seat and then adjust and reprogram.

As long as it doesn't get to it's upper limit it seems OK. If it does go to the limit then every 5 second or so a relay clicks and it stuck again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom