Haynes Manual - w124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phoenix_nights

Car
94 E200 T
Hi,

My W124 is about 1000 miles off its first 3000 since i bought it and want to try to do as much work myself on the car as possible. (mileage 142,000)

I see from reading the threads that its good to change the oil every 3000 Miles. I really am a novice to this but will the haynes manual give me good instructions and what proper filter and oil to buy.

What is the recommened time interval for the coolant and again is there instructions ( i got some really good one here ) aswell in the manual.

And simmilarily with the gearbox oil.

What is the recommended time interval for plugs?

Am a bit nervous that i could be putting all this work in to the car myself and then the timing chain goes! What is the recommended time that this should be changed.

Am i leaving out anything?

Thanks....

if you have a service record booklet it will tell you what is required to be changed at what intervals incl. oil, coolant and brake fluid.

Dont worry to much about the timing chain, it wont go just like that you can inspect it for signs of wear by taking off the cam cover, distributer and turn the crank. Other signs is the noise from the engine! If its tappy replace the chain (it is tricky) Although the timing is not to hard to set up on these but i would advise someone to help if your not to sure.

As For the type of plugs, oil etc. the stealers will advise you here, the oil listed is 10/40 i think. But IMO the haynes manual is a must for a novice.
What size engine is it, auto?? Hope this helps a little.
Cheers Ady

It wasn't mentioned in your post, but the title referred to a Haynes manual. If your car is a face-lift (and I think it is) then there ain't one.

Brooklands do a manual, but as with all Brooklands workshop manuals it's cr*p.

It'll get you through a service, but don't expect it to be any good for anything else.

PJ

Haynes manual ends on a 93 model. 94 16-valve E200 isn't covered. However, you don't really need it for changing the oil and plugs...

phoenix_nights said:
I see from reading the threads that its good to change the oil every 3000 Miles.

3K ???? Why?:confused: That would be every 2 months for me. I would stick to what's in the service book.

9,000 miles

Oil/filter service interval on your e200 engine if its a twin cam 111.941 engine is 9,000 miles ( MB SERVICE BOOK FIGURES) lots of people prefer to change more often say 6,000 miles. Depends on your type of motoring, lots of short cold engine trips V long hot motorway miles. I tend to change at 5/6k miles and use the oil colour as a guide. When it starts to get black then its time to change. The Haynes manual although it doesnt cover your model is still useful. If you want data on the twin cam engine its covered in the Haynes C class 93-2000 manual.

ADY1983 said:
Dont worry to much about the timing chain, it wont go just like that you can inspect it for signs of wear by taking off the cam cover, distributer and turn the crank. Other signs is the noise from the engine! If its tappy replace the chain (it is tricky) Although the timing is not to hard to set up on these but i would advise someone to help if your not to sure.

I would be thinking of doing the chain in the not too distant future, say next 20-30k. They can snap causing severe damage.

The easy way to change the chain is to remove the tensioner, undo a link, attach the new chain to the old one then wind it round the sprockets keeping it taut. Some people actually wind it on using the starter motor though that's probably not fo a novice.

Thanks everyone for your input. Dieselman will make note of the timingchain. Intend in keeping this car 'forever' so just what to make sure that i dont contribute to the cars early demise!

grober said:
Depends on your type of motoring, lots of short cold engine trips V long hot motorway miles.

Interesting note above. I have thought about that. My mileage (so far) is nearly all motorways miles in that i drive from a to b (200K) on friday, park it and then drive back on sunday. (dont use the car during week). I am guessing that this kind of driving is saving wear and tear on the car. Can anybody elaborate what good this does to the car and is there any down sides? Guessing there is easy wear and tear on the gearbox, coolant, brakes,.....

As a side note, i bought the car to cover a 200K journey each way evey weekend and its living up to all my expectations.

Long motorway trips are very easy on the whole car.

Think about it, fairly constant revs and load, top gear, no braking or turning.

I have an E250 Diesel, facelift model, 1995. I am a DIYer and would only consider going to a garage for my car repairs if it is something that is impossible to do. I have found that most jobs can be done with a bit of time and patience, although patience isn't something that comes naturally to me lol.

I decided, after discussing it with a few people in the know to replace the oil every 6000 miles, better safe than sorry.

With regards to the haynes manual i've found that everything i've needed to know about my car so far has been in the haynes manual for the pre facelift model. (Not for the engine though)

Grober - do you know if the c class 93 - 2000 manual covers the 2.5 multivalve diesel engine also?

I would recomend trying to do as much as you can yourself, it is a whole lot cheaper and you get a good feeling having done it yourself!

Just to add to what i previously said, the workshop manuals on cd that are available for sale on e bay are supposed to be very good. I'm getting hold of a set of the discs soon so will have a go and update on what detail they go into but they are spot on as far as i've heard from a friend who is also a bit of a DIYer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom