Headlight restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reamer

Car
SLK250 CDI AMG SPORT 2014
So I have tried a lot of products on headlights over the years on different cars with some good results.

However I was blown away by the ease of use and outstanding results of this product. (I’m independent so not plugging this).

CERAKOTE® Ceramic Headlight... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084RQKLV8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Have a look at before and after. 20 minutes work with outstanding results. If I have to repeat every year it’s still cheaper than replacing the units. IMG_1753.jpgIMG_1752.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
The final coating is to protect from UV. What ever works is always best.

Time will tell. Watch this space. 👍

I recently used a similar kit from Holts on my Vito and wasn't happy with the results at all ... very difficult wet sanding with disks on curved light units (flatter ones might be OK).

I bought a softer backing plate and two foam pads ('heavy cut' and 'polish') along with appropriate compounds from a detailing place, and that worked fine. I only used the sealant from the Holts kit.

More details plus pictures here:

Looks good. I have used that kit too, and the kit here. Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit - Meguiars UK

Wasn’t impressed with meguiars at all.

By far in ease of use and results was my recent product. The finish is like new with no blur or defects.

Have been told to leave as is, it's the coating that's turns yellow(?)
No, the UV causes the plastic to oxidise. So the UV protective coating slows that process. I read somewhere that when applying wax to your car, you should also wax the headlights as the wax includes UV protective agents. Not sure how true that is..

My problem was not so much the yellowing but minute haze cracks in the plastic where the sun heats it on the top.

The latest product has removed/masked these and now looks crystal clear.

It won’t last forever but it’s perfect for now.

My problem was not so much the yellowing but minute haze cracks in the plastic where the sun heats it on the top.

Yep that's what I had - on the top, and also to a lesser extent in front of the headlight bulbs

Capture.JPG

Yep that's what I had - on the top, and also to a lesser extent in front of the headlight bulbs

View attachment 145626
I don't think chrome polish would work, lights appear to be in bad shape with quite deep scratches.
What's the problem with MB headlights, poor quality materials?
I had a 1991 Nissan Primera for 11 years and the light were like new, crystal clear.

I don't think chrome polish would work, lights appear to be in bad shape with quite deep scratches.
What's the problem with MB headlights, poor quality materials?

Yep ... chrome polish is relatively mild I think. The 2-stage process with cutting compound and then polish (using foam pads in a drill) worked well ... this is the same light cluster after that:

cap2.JPG

I had a 1991 Nissan Primera for 11 years and the light were like new, crystal clear.

Did that have plastic lenses? The first one I had with those was a 1998 Vauxhall, and one of the lenses fell off! Luckily it was just in my road so I found it (undamaged) and was able to successfully bond it back on.

Yep ... chrome polish is relatively mild I think. The 2-stage process with cutting compound and then polish (using foam pads in a drill) worked well ... this is the same light cluster after that:

View attachment 145673

Did that have plastic lenses? The first one I had with those was a 1998 Vauxhall, and one of the lenses fell off! Luckily it was just in my road so I found it (undamaged) and was able to successfully bond it back on.
Yes

Did mine yesterday… Think I have before and afters… The UV protectant goes on a bit like nail varnish and takes three days to cure!IMG_7304.jpegIMG_7303.jpeg

Oh and sanded with a drill on slow speed 600 grit 1200 grit and 2000. Take your time keep the paper wet and dont use supplied polish, I used Meguires compound and polish. Here’s a link… I used this kit.

Last edited:
Whatever cleaning / refinishing process occurs, surely there always has to be a second step to provide a protective barrier coating going forward. Call it wax or whatever.

Step one is removing the existing crud and refinishing that surface. Step two is delaying the buildup of dirt and damage to that fresh surface.

The
Whatever cleaning / refinishing process occurs, surely there always has to be a second step to provide a protective barrier coating going forward. Call it wax or whatever.

Step one is removing the existing crud and refinishing that surface. Step two is delaying the buildup of dirt and damage to that fresh surface.
kit I used has a ceramic coating to finish. It will not last forever but is far cheaper than light replacement

I think the purpose of the 'sealant' supplied with most kits is (a) to protect the plastic from UV light and (b) to fill/mask any very fine surface scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom