Help me with insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How can I resolve it? I've tried arguing with them to re-instate it, but they are adamant that it's completely not possible.

How can I resolve it? I've tried arguing with them to re-instate it, but they are adamant that it's completely not possible.

Jesus, I can nearly hear the screams!

Anyway, if that's the case, you'll need a letter from them explaining why they have cancelled your current policy for your new insurer. If the policy cancellation is logged against you as just 'cancelled', you'll have major issue trying to get an insurance quote.

BTW, did you get any quotes declaring that you had a policy cancelled by your insurance company?

Just out of interest ( being Serious this time) have you tried to put someone like your mum or dad on it as a named driver, my nephew is 24 had a nice car, put my Mum his Nan on as named driver and it went down, how mad is that I think she drove it once in that time.

Insurance is mad, one of our apprentices trying to insure a Suzuki Swift Sport at the moment at 24 and decent post code 3 years no claims still over 1k. What amazes me is my insurance is so cheap one mishap and they are going to be way out of pocket, would you take the risk for 350 quid a year, as I say it makes no sense

John, I didn't add that detail, but the prices have all jumped up about 500 quid since I last gotten quotes, so figure they all just 'know'.

Dan, unfortunately for me, neither my mum or dad drive. Very few in the family do. My sister does, but she's only early 30s and isn't the best behind the wheel... No harm in getting quotes though, it only takes a few minutes to see what comes back.

What risk for 350 quid a year? I don't follow?

---

I'm quickly running out of time to get something sorted though. Work Monday morning, and I'm not going to walk down the M60! :(

John, I didn't add that detail, but the prices have all jumped up about 500 quid since I last gotten quotes, so figure they all just 'know'.
Get a quote with full declaration and over the phone too. Declare the fact of policy cancellation by your previous insurance company and see what the voice says rather than just what some computer comes up with.

Also go and see an insurance broker in person, they are a mind of info and will know what the real S.P. is.

What about that insurance with a black box arrangement?

Thanks for the advice so far.

I live in M22 which isn't a good postcode risk wise, but I used to live in moss side, and that was the same risk rating, which is ridiculous as I now live in a peaceful leafy suburb.

I've had my full licence since May 2011.

I have spoken to them, they're not even entertaining the idea of reinstating it, acting like it's as impossible as inhaling Jupiter and blowing smoke rings with it.

They're trying to quote me on a new policy, and are obviously taking the fact that I've had a policy cancelled into account! They've just quoted £1830, with a 3 grand excess.

They also won't release my 2 years NCB until I pay the cancellation fee, plus some remaining money, £134 they're after...

What's the reason for the couple of days? It's weekend, so surely doable, but what's the significance of this?

without reading everything here, a full licence since 2011 is not very long and probably accounts for your steep premiums.

Insurance is a mine field, I keep changing my insurers every few years as they all act the maggot and hike up my premium, despite no claims or anything incurred since i was with them.

I had quite a few points a few years back (9), but they have since been removed, I think my highest premium was a bit over £600 for my previous 2.4 Accord, its about £500 for my Lexus now.

What I was saying ( easy I am not showing off) how can an underwriter agree to insure us old gits for £350 a year, that wouldn't even cover a bumper I am guessing.

But maybe I am answering your question bump up the young and it evens out.

I just think if someone came to me to insure me I would want more than that to take the risk.

If that makes sense

What about that insurance with a black box arrangement?

I've had one before, in a 1.2 punto. And driving like i've a pint of acid balancing on my head still put it into the red, it was genuinely tough to be smooth enough to get it into the green, I did though, but it was awful.

I'm certainly not doing that again with a 3L V6. I'd rather pay whatever the premium is so I can still enjoy booting it down the odd slip road.

I just want to get the best possible deal of course.

I get what you're saying Dan, but it's just a numbers game. You vintage folk clearly have fewer accidents, especially with fast cars. I consider myself a careful, courteous and mature driver, but I'll admit I'd be more likely to have an accident in a 500+ HP car than someone twice my age... The car I've got now is about half that power, and it's plenty.

I'd love a 63 obviously, but it's more about the noise, than the speed.

If you are married, add your spouse as second driver, this will bring the premium down.

If you do not have a spouse, add one of your parents (if applicable).

(But keep in mind that if adding a second driver then you should at the very least have an intention for them to drive the car occasionally. )

Hi, Mark.

Thanks, though as said parents don't drive, and elder sister isn't going near my car, she tends to dent hers. :dk:

Not married, but long term girlfriend is the same age, and not been driving as long, and also she's had a small bump a couple years ago that was 50/50 so I'm not sure she'll do any good, but I'll try anyway.

Even if your parents don't currently drive if they have a licence and a long no claims/accident history then it may help your premium.

Adding my mrs who had 1 years no claim and an at fault accident 18months before hand lowered my insurance on my CL55 by around £400 iirc but this was like 5years ago! I was 24, she was 22...

Before that I always used to put my mum on as a named driver and it would always lower my premium by a serious amount.

Nope, parents never had a licence.

Thanks m2287, I'll keep trying.

Hi, All.

I went with Admiral in the end. They weren't the cheapest of the quotes I was getting, but the cheapest had £3000 compulsory excess and some had a black box too.

It's a takeaway under two grand, or just over £160/month, which I'm not chuffed about, but beats the £457/month I was paying for the RX8!

Now I've just got to extract my NCB proof from the old insurer somehow. I need to work out exactly why I apparently owe them money first when they cancelled the policy.

Do you think NCB evidence would fall under the FOI act? Are they being unlawful holding my NCB proof to ransom? As I'll need to provide it to Admiral obviously.

Get NCB, proper number of years and try to overturn cancellation. If needed, take it to Ombudsman as recommended. If it stays on your record, you will be paying higher premium for years.

^ Exactly this above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom