hiring car abroad - paper licence only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
been looking more into this; Cheapest Car Hire Prices Found With One Search Terms & conditions state:

UK Drivers must produce a full British driving licence held for at least one year (or in some cases an international driving licence). Drivers with a new style licence must have all sections with them.

looks like its ok with the old-paper style.... then :) i suppose the "rumour" that i heard may have been company-specific, but as long as i know most rental places accept the older licence then i know i can hire a car from somewhere....

i'll be hiring it when i get there as prices often vary around the resorts...

You could always hang onto your existing paper licence for now and apply for a new photocard licence , stating that you have 'misplaced' your old one , but that you will destroy/return it to them , if or when you find it .

That way , the new one may come in time , but otherwise you still have the old one .

Does SWMBO have a photocard licence ? Suppose she hires and does all the driving and , in fairness , you do all the drinking :D

Last edited:
#9-year-old-thread

Certainly one of the oldest ones I've seen resurrected!

Yes I noticed that too, hope the OP isn't still waiting for their new license :D

By way of a foot note, my son received his full license today after passing his test, it states the paper part of the license is no longer issued, but is available on line.

On our recent trip to the US - one week after the new licence came into effect - I took the Photo Licence, the old paper licence and the new version you print off the DVLA website. As we had booked the car online the only things Avis wanted to see were the credit card used to order the car and the Photo Licence as proof of identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom